Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'm using concentration of tomato juice as my independant variable. Some of my friends are going to use different parts of the tomatoes as the variable.

Is there any point in this since you want to see what the effects of the extracts are and not where the ABA is found. However I thought about if you add juice coming from the whole tomato it could possibly contain many different types of plant hormones like the cytokinins which is supposed to promote growth. In my opinion, doing different parts of the tomato as the variable can be tricky since there may be two different hormones in the same place anyway.

I think that the Chi-squared or T test should probably be mentioned as a possible analytical technique you could use afterwards to see if the inhibitors had a significant effect on the germination of the seed. Anyone agree?

Post back and tell me what you think.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollyxxx)
    (Original post by Miss Nakhrey)
    hey im doin d same thing is im a bit stuck as to what ta write 4 d preliminary coz we dint do one wer meant to mek up d results..did u do ur preliminary using propanone and water? if so which one r u using?
    n wat do i write 4 d preliminary?

ne help wud be appreciated

maybe it would b nice if u spoke proper english? then i could understand wat the heck u r saying.
    What are you talking about? You were/are writing in text speak as well you stupid cow, so how can you criicise someone else for typing in test speak! Stupid bint. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    my pilot study showed the seeds didn't germinate in propanone but that was because there was no water. propanone breaks down the cell walls and releases the inhibitor (ABA) which also dissolve in it because they are both non-polar or something. anyway i made up my concentrations using different amounts of propanone and tomato, then added water to provide the right conditions for germination. there are lots of inhibitors in the tomato but the one responsible for germination is ABA which is found just around the seeds but i just mashed up the whole tomato.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    my pilot study showed the seeds didn't germinate in propanone but that was because there was no water. propanone breaks down the cell walls and releases the inhibitor (ABA) which also dissolve in it because they are both non-polar or something. anyway i made up my concentrations using different amounts of propanone and tomato, then added water to provide the right conditions for germination. there are lots of inhibitors in the tomato but the one responsible for germination is ABA which is found just around the seeds but i just mashed up the whole tomato.

xxx
    NO the inhibitor is not water-soluble... but because more water is present capared to the inhibitor therefore germination occurs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanaz)
    NO the inhibitor is not water-soluble... but because more water is present capared to the inhibitor therefore germination occurs!
    hey!! ive already done my a2 ocr bio prac and also handed it in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky18)
    hey!! ive already done my a2 ocr bio prac and also handed it in...
    lucky u..mine has to be in 2moro and im still not kinda sure wat to include on my background!!... wat did u write?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanaz)
    lucky u..mine has to be in 2moro and i still dont know wat to write on the background!!... wat did u write?
    something about germination... a labelled diagram of the seed.

use a biology book or net...

ReputationRep:

well.. know ive got practical exam to worry about.. 25 may is not far
    dont have much of a clue wat to revise for it..

ReputationRep:

did u get ur diagram from the net, if so which site?caz i've been looking on google and i just cannot find anything..thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanaz)
    did u get ur diagram from the net, if so which site?caz i've been looking on google and i just cannot find anything..thanx
    no.. igot it from a book ...
    its a diagram of cress seed with the following labels:
    cotyledon
    plumule
    radical

hey u can look up a broad bean diagram it similar to a cress seeds...

ReputationRep:
    Has Anyone Got Any Idea What Topic The Practical Exam May Be On?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilsoncswai)
    Has Anyone Got Any Idea What Topic The Practical Exam May Be On?
    may be gerimanation..cause it is said that is linked to planning exercise..
    the apparatus may be RESPIROMETER... respiration is the most likely one for a germination expt.

ReputationRep:
    One question please for a minute, does anyone know how long cress seeds roughly take to germinate? Once germinated do they grow rapidly? Is it a matter of hours or days?

Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biologist)
    One question please for a minute, does anyone know how long cress seeds roughly take to germinate? Once germinated do they grow rapidly? Is it a matter of hours or days?

Thank you very much.
    its a matter of days.....
    roughly 4 days to totally germinate (in water).

ya i think they do grow rapidly.

ReputationRep:
    its a matter of days.....
    roughly 4 days to totally germinate (in water).

ya i think they do grow rapidly.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biologist)
    thanks
    wat u recon might comeup in the pract. exam....

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.