Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

so a while back I started seeing someone (not official or anything like that) but after a couple of weeks I decided there was just something about it that wasn't quite right and it was kinda rebound-y so I decided to go and speak to him about it and effectively ended that.

They are obviously still my friend and I have met up with them once since then, just to hang out as friends but I know they still like me because they are just acting like they do. They invited me out when exams are over to go ice skating but I kinda just thought to myself that it might be kinda pushing the boundaries a little bit.

The chances of me going back on my actions are quite small, just because something didn't feel quite right. They're really lovely but sometimes that happens I guess.

Do I need to speak to them again or...? What should I do about this skating thing because clearly I won't have exams as an excuse like I do at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Give him the benefit of the doubt and go. It can take a while for feelings to die down, and this may be his way of coping. If he does make a move, calmly and gently tell him again that you just want to be friends and that if he keeps pushing you for more, he may end up damaging that friendship. If this is the case, tell him you need a bit of space and just keep your distance for a while so he has a chance to get over you. Don't ignore him but maybe avoid situations where you're alone together, or could find yourself in an intimate proximity. Make him know that you will always be there for him as a friend, and you don't want to lose him - the rest is up to him.

ReputationRep:
    Go ice-skating as friends on yor part, and if they start to make a move then you need to re-iterate your lack of feelings. Rather than just saying 'I don't like you' use the idea of not wanting to lead them on because the relationship wouldn't be the same both ways.
    You need to make sure they know you are just going as friends, and if not then it might be an idea to try and avoid them in future or you will be 'feeding' their feelings, if you see what I mean.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've been really stressed because of exams so they came over last week to hang out and tried to make a move and I spoke to them about it again then. Yeah I don't want to lead them on and what I said to them last time was that something just wasn't quite right and it would have been unfair to continue any longer to see if it worked out. I didn't mention the rebound-y thing because I felt that would just be plain mean.

His response last time (last week-ish) he tried to make a move and I told him no was 'well, you can't blame a guy for trying'

Never really been in this situation before, i'm normally on the other side of the fence so I'm not quite sure how to deal with it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.