Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically, I have seriously bad period pains. The sort where I take paracetamol and ibuprofen, curl up in a ball with a hot water bottle and cry. On a few occaisions i have thrown up, but generally i just feel absolutely sick to my stomach, shaking with hot/cold flushes and unable to move. I also get diarrhea, which makes the pain particularly intense. Recently (past yearish), its been spreading to my lower back too, and ive had to buy another hot water bottle because that gets unbearably sore too.
    I can't remember when I started getting such bad pain - it definitely wasn't immediately but i think it was within 4 years of starting.
    I also have always had really heavy periods. I used to have to stay at home because at school I wasn't able to go to the toilet every hour. It has got lighter since about 17, but i still need to plan my day around where the toilets are and if ill have time to use them.
    I also get really bad PMS - really sudden mood swings, random crying, food cravings etc.
    Over the past few years I been getting period cramps from about 2 weeks leading up to my period, these are pretty much exclusively if i do exercise. Like, i cant go to the gym, or go jogging because as soon as i stop i will be doubled over with cramps that last about as long as i was exercising for. They even come if i do anything like stand up quickly, or walk up the stairs. They get worse/more sensitive to triggers the closer to my period.

Ive been to the GP a couple of times and they just said it was stress, and prescribed me mefenamic acid but i got some nasty side effects and it turns out im hypersensitive to NSAIDs, so im now on tranexamic acid and co-dydramol (which doesnt really work).
    None of my family have any of these problems at all, and im really scared it could be that ive got something causing all this and i could be affecting my fertility. I just dont want them to think im a hypochondriac, or im worried theyll think that i think i know better than them seeing as im a med student.
    I just want a bit of advice - im genuinely worried, but my doctor said it was stress, so im also scared about going back and coming across as whiny.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest you go back to the doctor and request to be put on the pill. Its not just a contraceptive and regulates period heaviness and length, and therefore pain as well. There are a few things you can be prescribed, and it might be worth seeing a different doctor just to see what they say in comparison. If treatments don't work, they should offer you a series of tests to see if there is another underlying problem. You need to explain your situation exactly to them as you have on here, so they can't miss any detail of how all this restricts you.

I was reading an article on what causes period pains earlier today and it's that the muclular walls of the vagina literally cramp and contract to push out the blood, and in doing this they cut off the circulation to the muscle, which is what causes the pain. Really stupid of them, I know, but it's what they do.

The article also talked about how because it's something every woman has, even though it's to a completely different extent, we are expected to cope with it somehow. Even doctors, including females, underestimate the pain. Apparently the woman who wrote this article collapsed in the middle of a road due to the cramp so she got/gets it really badly, but she went on the pill and it regulated it to a more manageable amount for her to cope with.

Diagnosing yourself with something like endometriosis should be a complete last result. Don't give up because you shouldn't have to suffer so much.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, I have seriously bad period pains. The sort where I take paracetamol and ibuprofen, curl up in a ball with a hot water bottle and cry. On a few occaisions i have thrown up, but generally i just feel absolutely sick to my stomach, shaking with hot/cold flushes and unable to move. I also get diarrhea, which makes the pain particularly intense. Recently (past yearish), its been spreading to my lower back too, and ive had to buy another hot water bottle because that gets unbearably sore too.
    I can't remember when I started getting such bad pain - it definitely wasn't immediately but i think it was within 4 years of starting.
    I also have always had really heavy periods. I used to have to stay at home because at school I wasn't able to go to the toilet every hour. It has got lighter since about 17, but i still need to plan my day around where the toilets are and if ill have time to use them.
    I also get really bad PMS - really sudden mood swings, random crying, food cravings etc.
    Over the past few years I been getting period cramps from about 2 weeks leading up to my period, these are pretty much exclusively if i do exercise. Like, i cant go to the gym, or go jogging because as soon as i stop i will be doubled over with cramps that last about as long as i was exercising for. They even come if i do anything like stand up quickly, or walk up the stairs. They get worse/more sensitive to triggers the closer to my period.

Ive been to the GP a couple of times and they just said it was stress, and prescribed me mefenamic acid but i got some nasty side effects and it turns out im hypersensitive to NSAIDs, so im now on tranexamic acid and co-dydramol (which doesnt really work).
    None of my family have any of these problems at all, and im really scared it could be that ive got something causing all this and i could be affecting my fertility. I just dont want them to think im a hypochondriac, or im worried theyll think that i think i know better than them seeing as im a med student.
    I just want a bit of advice - im genuinely worried, but my doctor said it was stress, so im also scared about going back and coming across as whiny.

Thanks.
    hi, im 17 and i got really ill dead on this date last year, i thought i had a stomach bug but then the pain was not in my stomach it was my abdomen, i was being sick; fainting so i decided to go into a hot water bath, i then passed out because of the pain; my friend came it and called a ambulance and dragged me out, i was on gas and air and had morphine pumped into my body; i could not sit up or anything! it was hell! i was 16 at this time and i had to stay in hospital alone!
    i woke up at 6am to find nurses pumping stuff into me that i didnt know what it was, about 3 minutes later i rang the buzzer for help.. my throat swelled up & it took them 10 mintues before getting to me. i then stopped breathing and was on oxygen as they put penecillin in me when im alergic to it.
    they still didnt know what was wrong, they said it was my appendix. my ovaries and i got stressed out. I also found a lump in my boob. that scared the hell outta me; they said its nothing to worry about.
    they told my mum there is a chance it could be ovarian cancer; i was devistated but didnt believe it. it couldnt have. so they sent me to birmingham womens hospital for tests, they told me i have a STI; i laughed so hard!!! all tests came back negative and i discharged myself at 3am.

it didnt return till november; it hit hard. It hit that hard i had to have a laparoscopy; this is a small operation to see inside your womb, they was looking for endo, they found little trces but nothing bad and also scar tissue which they didnt know what was from.

i had to hastle my doctors! make sure you see a female!
    and dont give uppp!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I've seen quite a few gynaecologists and some of the women were just as fobby offy and patronising. But it does sound as if there is an underlying condition, so explain just how much it is affecting your quality of life.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.