afira
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Hi All!
i am new to this but i have been reading this forum with regards to the equivalent testing. I will be taking my biology exam in essex on sept 26, any advise would be really appreciated..
lisarogo
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Hi
I am looking at doing the equivilancy test in maths and English as I really need this to get into uni and have no chance in sitting my gcse in so little time. Please can you tell me the best option, is it basically pay £150 and you are just then required to sit and exam? I'm a bit confused
afira
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
There are different options, however if your like with Little time then yes there is an exam only route. They will provide you with a syllabus to what areas you need to revise and past papers.
coolone
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hello,
Can someone tell me?? How long does it valid this equivalency test result?? Is the result valid for only one /two years or lifetime??

Once if I pass this exam then Can I use the result anytime for applying PGCE or some limited year is there or not??

Kindly share me your idea ,it would be a great help for me...
afira
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
As far as I know it's for life as it is a qualification.
coolone
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by afira)
As far as I know it's for life as it is a qualification.
Thank you Afira
AdamRD1983
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I know this post is a bit old but for anyone out there thinking of doing the ET exam, I can't recommend it enough. I did my higher-tier maths exam today and managed to get 94% :-) In Wales, to apply for a teacher training course, you need at least a B in maths so thank God, I managed to pull it off. The good thing about ET is that they're looking for applied knowledge more than anything else; even if you get the question wrong, the correct method is what they're really after. I did find their past-papers considerably different to the exam itself. The sample papers I was sent were pitched at a level that was very straightforward eg. "this is a trigonometry question, work it out!". The trig. question in the exam was more fiddly to suss out but all the questions on the paper were included in their syllabus. As long as you stuck to that and don't depend on past-paper question reappearing in the exam, you'll be fine. I did the exam only option and managed to cram a load of revision into about 8-9 weeks. Try Googling some of the questions in the past papers they send you. I did just that and discovered most of them were based on old Edexcel exams which meant I was able to access even more practice papers from the Edexcel website. Good luck to anyone taking the exam; stick to the syllabus and you'll be fine :-)
Davman
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Does anybody know if there is an exam centre in either Newcastle Upon Tyne or Sunderland?
I just found out I need English and Maths GCSE's, I have HEFC's which are level 3 A level but I still need to take a level 2 GCSE's!
Its going to cost £150 per subject for the exams only, so I will have to spread them out due to finances.
I don't see the point of making people do tests which are lower than their current qualifications, you would think they would get rid of them since they are supposed to be short of teachers.
Saying that I will have to revise my math, since it's 3 years since I passed my HEFC, but I was hoping I would never have to revisit the subject again.

I found a website that has old exam papers.

http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications...ish&level=gcse
http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications...hematics-gcse/
AdamRD1983
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi Davman. They occasionally hold exams around the country but they seem to be very few and far between. I live in Cardiff and have to travel to Brentwood in Essex (where their head office is based) to sit my higher-tier maths test (we need a B in Wales to become teachers!). It was a nightmare journey and a very expensive one! They tend to use Holiday Inns as their examination centres - I ended up paying for a room the night before just to avoid the stress of getting there for a 9:30am start on the day. Keep an eye on their website; before I decided to bite the bullet and travel to them to sit my exam, I phoned them up and asked them if they had any Cardiff dates lined up...the answer was not until next March which would've been way past my course application deadline. They do hold exams in Brentwood fairly regularly, maybe one a month, as it's close to their head office but it's absolutely miles away and a totally ****e journey :-(

They use EDEXCEL as their benchmark for maths, not WJEC. In-fact, most of the ET past-papers are directly lifted from the Edexcel ones which I accidentally discovered while Googling answers one night! I downloaded all of the Edexcel linear mathematics A papers (all available for free on their site) - I can't recommend doing that enough as the ET questions on the day were VERY different from the ones in their past-papers - not in terms of syllabus content, but the way in which they were worded - really off-putting!

Any more info needed, give me a shout. I did mine last week and it's still pretty fresh in my head.

All the best.
Davman
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AdamRD1983)
Hi Davman. They occasionally hold exams around the country but they seem to be very few and far between. I live in Cardiff and have to travel to Brentwood in Essex (where their head office is based) to sit my higher-tier maths test (we need a B in Wales to become teachers!). It was a nightmare journey and a very expensive one! They tend to use Holiday Inns as their examination centres - I ended up paying for a room the night before just to avoid the stress of getting there for a 9:30am start on the day. Keep an eye on their website; before I decided to bite the bullet and travel to them to sit my exam, I phoned them up and asked them if they had any Cardiff dates lined up...the answer was not until next March which would've been way past my course application deadline. They do hold exams in Brentwood fairly regularly, maybe one a month, as it's close to their head office but it's absolutely miles away and a totally ****e journey :-(

They use EDEXCEL as their benchmark for maths, not WJEC. In-fact, most of the ET past-papers are directly lifted from the Edexcel ones which I accidentally discovered while Googling answers one night! I downloaded all of the Edexcel linear mathematics A papers (all available for free on their site) - I can't recommend doing that enough as the ET questions on the day were VERY different from the ones in their past-papers - not in terms of syllabus content, but the way in which they were worded - really off-putting!

Any more info needed, give me a shout. I did mine last week and it's still pretty fresh in my head.

All the best.
I finish my English language degree in July, so I doubt I will do anything before then. I think there will still be places on my PGCE as I want to do computer science, with the subject enhancement having to be done first, so my PGCE would not start until 2017. I will try to get the GCSE's done in the summer. I have the whole DvD Math Tutor collection, and he got me through my HEFC quantitative methods lvl 3 math, so I'm hoping he will get me through the lvl 2.
It's the extra expense, and the fact that even though I have A level English and Math equivalent, and I will have an English language and linguistics with TESOL degree, I have to do two lvl 2 GCSE's! I think I will write a letter to the education Minister to complain, it seems nonsensical with the shortage of teacher's we have at present.
rehman786
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi I need suggestion which book I shall follow to prepare for GCSE English exam required for teacher training . Please PM me
emmam30
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hello

I have a place in Sept for School based salaried training. I need a C in a science equivalency and have booked my exam with equivalencytesting.com for 7th June. I appreciate this is an old thread , but am hoping some people on here might be able to help? I have revised the syllabus they sent and am now beginning exam questions, they have only sent me one copy and it seems quite tricky. What exam board do you suggest I check papers for? I have been revising via the AQA board. Very nervous as science is not my forte...passed literacy and numeracy tests first time, but the online tests helped with those.
Any tips, advice please????
Sangria
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just keep going over the papers and questions they sent you. Answer in as much detail as you can. I was Sooo worried but ended up with 79% and I felt useless.
Try not to panic just focus I'm sure you will be fine. Just keep up your revision
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
emmam30
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thanks. They only sent me one and no answers 😞. It's quite an old fashioned looking paper too. I've printed a couple of past papers from different exam boards. It's hard as I'm full time hlta so teaching 90% of week and marking each evening too. Thanks for the advice. It's stressing me out that one thing can stop me bring a teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sangria
Rep:
Why don't you book another exam for two weeks after that as a back up. Check online for the gcse syllabus it covers the same units I think. Failing that phone them up and ask for more

I worked full time uni one day a week and night school for maths. Don't get panicked just keep plugging away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
emmam30
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Feeling a bit more confident, found other coast papers. Not booking another test as £150 a time. But I know if worst comes to worst I can resist. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sangria
Rep:
Good luck!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
DonnaN
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Best of luck!
emmam30
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Thank you X x

Posted from TSR Mobile
emmam30
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi I sat my exam Tuesday. It was tricky but some straightforward questions. I should get my result in next few days ( they are being posted ). I'm hoping I passed but not too sure. Will let you know. There was a kidney question and a lung Question that I wasn't prepared for x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.56%
Okay (113)
29.2%
A bit lacking (146)
37.73%
Not good at all (91)
23.51%

Watched Threads