Is paracetamol an alcohol?

Watch
X44
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was recently looking back at my AS chemistry book and I stumbled across the displayed formula for paracetamol and it has an "OH" group plus it has an "ol" at the end of its name so I think technically it is. Any experts around to confirm this? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
illusionz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by X44)
I was recently looking back at my AS chemistry book and I stumbled across the displayed formula for paracetamol and it has an "OH" group plus it has an "ol" at the end of its name so I think technically it is. Any experts around to confirm this? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah although I would call it a phenol as the OH is attached to an benzene ring rather than an aliphatic carbon.
X44
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by illusionz)
Yeah although I would call it a phenol as the OH is attached to an benzene ring rather than an aliphatic carbon.
Oh yeah why didn't I notice that, I just spent 5 mins convincing my Muslim friend that she technically takes alcohol whenever she takes paracetamol, I feel so stupid now lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
reneetaylor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yep it is. Like "Illusionz" said, it contains on OH group on a benzene ring, so it is known as a phenol. I always remember it is as an al-cohol being attached to an al-iphatic compound, hence the difference between phenol and alcohol.
illusionz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by X44)
Oh yeah why didn't I notice that, I just spent 5 mins convincing my Muslim friend that she technically takes alcohol whenever she takes paracetamol, I feel so stupid now lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
All phenols are alcohols, but calling it a phenol is just a little more specific as the reactivity of phenol is different to ethanol, for example.
askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by X44)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mega LOL!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads