The Student Room Group

Can you get a major but still pass your test?

Ok so this might sound stupid because obviously, if you get 1 serious, you get a fail. But what I mean is, if you make 1 major, but do well in the rest of the test, i.e get no more majors and hardly any minors, could the examiner not count the major you got, and pass you.

I'm asking this for two reasons. One, I've seen people on the internet (cant remember which website, may even have been this forum) say that they might do this. And secondly, my instructor also said the same thing after I failed my first test back in November. One of the reasons I failed was for getting a major when going out of the test centre. I said to my instructor that I knew I'd failed like 30 seconds into the test because of that mistake, but he said maybe not, because if I'd have done the rest of the test really well then the examiner would maybe of chalked off the major and given me a pass. Could this happen?
No, no annnnnnnd........another big fat no.
Original post by SamL94
Ok so this might sound stupid because obviously, if you get 1 serious, you get a fail. But what I mean is, if you make 1 major, but do well in the rest of the test, i.e get no more majors and hardly any minors, could the examiner not count the major you got, and pass you.

I'm asking this for two reasons. One, I've seen people on the internet (cant remember which website, may even have been this forum) say that they might do this. And secondly, my instructor also said the same thing after I failed my first test back in November. One of the reasons I failed was for getting a major when going out of the test centre. I said to my instructor that I knew I'd failed like 30 seconds into the test because of that mistake, but he said maybe not, because if I'd have done the rest of the test really well then the examiner would maybe of chalked off the major and given me a pass. Could this happen?

No. I failed a driving test for failing to use my indicator when I was pulling over. There were no cars behind me either. I did everything else PERFECT. Got 0 other minors or anything, and still failed :frown:
Original post by Ice Constricter
No, no annnnnnnd........another big fat no.

Was gonna say the same thing!
Reply 4
You can pass with up to 15 minors, provided you don't have a single major fault.

A major fault, essentially, is anything where your instructor has to intervene.

A friend of mine had 0 minor faults, but as she pulled into the test centre, her examiner felt she wasn't braking hard enough as she pulled in, so he put his foot on the brake. She failed.

There are, of course, other major faults that do not require intervention from an examiner, but that's a rough guide.
No.

Your instructor probably told you that because you can think you've failed but actually didn't. If you let the mistake put you off, you're more likely to make another one that will actually lead you to fail than relax into the test and drive well (and so end up passing).

At least, that's what I'm hoping..
Original post by TattyBoJangles
No.

Your instructor probably told you that because you can think you've failed but actually didn't. If you let the mistake put you off, you're more likely to make another one that will actually lead you to fail than relax into the test and drive well (and so end up passing).

At least, that's what I'm hoping..

What happened to my dad is that when he left the test centre he committed a minor but thought it was a major and thought he'd failed so he just took the rest of the test as practice and drove completely without nerves and then he passed.
So, it could work either way.
Original post by SamL94

I am afraid thats a NO!

In simple mathematics :1 Major = TOTAL FAIL
<15 minors= pass
Original post by minimarshmallow
What happened to my dad is that when he left the test centre he committed a minor but thought it was a major and thought he'd failed so he just took the rest of the test as practice and drove completely without nerves and then he passed.
So, it could work either way.

Exactly my point.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Exactly my point.

Yup... sorry, I thought you were saying something different. I shouldn't be on TSR the night before an exam.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Yup... sorry, I thought you were saying something different. I shouldn't be on TSR the night before an exam.

Aha, it's all right :p: Good luck in the exam!

Back on topic - OP, the answer is a resounding "no". But if you think you've failed, try and relax and drive well any way because you may not have.
Original post by SamL94

I have absolutely no cast-iron evidence for this - it is just an opinion from observation.

I think that sometimes, if a fault is borderline serious (not a technical term!) and occurs early in the test, the examiner might not mark it at all but wait until they see whether the cause was simply nerves or something else. If the rest of the drive goes without a major hitch of any kind, they might subsequently mark it as a minor (with or without advice). If, however, further serious faults have been committed, or overall your driving is not quite there, they might mark it as a serious.

It is not an exact science...how we all wish it was :smile:
No, a major is a fail. The only slightly different scenario is if you get a number of minors for the same thing. If you start getting 3 or 4 you're moving into failing territory but it's completely at the examiner's discretion at that point depending on how well he judges your driving overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending