Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I downloaded the DSA application forms and need a little bit of help filling it out.

It asks me what me disability is. I have depression and anxiety - do I need to go in to detail about how it affects me?

As I'm going to study part-time, it's asking for my university to fill out a section, do I HAVE to get them to fill it out? It does say if I don't want them knowing, not to fill it out. But I WANT my university to know. I work full time at the moment and don't really have the time to go in to London to get someone (who would I even get!?) to fill it out.

Also, I assume I need a letter from my GP to say I have depression etc. What exactly does this letter need to say? Does it need to say how it's affecting me etc, or does it just need to say I have it? I don't go to my doctors a lot as I don't find my GP helpful, I only really go to get repeat prescriptions for my meds. I have a, lengthy, report from my councillor / therapist, but it is a year old now - would this suffice as evidence as that goes in to a LOT of detail of what I have been like since I was diagnosed at 15, it also has a diagnosis on it.

I was diagnosed 10 years ago. I'm on medication. I have concentration problems, and I also panic in exams due to anxiety. I don't sleep much as my tablets either give me insomnia or, when I do sleep, give me nightmares. I know the things I think I'd benefit most from DSA (mentor, extra time in exams, extra coursework time, and a recording device - A Laptop would be super helpful as libraries have lots of people in them, and are mostly full, although I doubt I'd be eligible for one, so I guess I'll have to save up for one!).

(I also have very bad asthma, but there is nothing that can help that! Haha).

Any, and all, help is greatly appreciated!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    The letters I sent in, had my diagnoses and how they affected my ability to study. You may need something more recent than a year old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    The letters I sent in, had my diagnoses and how they affected my ability to study. You may need something more recent than a year old.
    Thanks
    I'll go to my GP ASAP then.

ReputationRep:
    All my gp stated was I have been suffering anxiety and depression for many years having severe effect or something and that management has proved difficult. Under the section I explained how it effected my memory concentration ability to interact etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kmcgowan13)
    All my gp stated was I have been suffering anxiety and depression for many years having severe effect or something and that management has proved difficult. Under the section I explained how it effected my memory concentration ability to interact etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.