The Student Room Group

AS Geography

Anybody sit the geography key themes exam on AQA today? I feel like I could have performed better but I was getting things mixed up, long with case studies.

I did the coasts, rivers, health issues and population
Original post by JamesRobbins8
Anybody sit the geography key themes exam on AQA today? I feel like I could have performed better but I was getting things mixed up, long with case studies.

I did the coasts, rivers, health issues and population

I did the same topics as you but I thought it was okay, it could have been worse. It might sound silly but that Social Welfare question in the population section, what even is social welfare?
Reply 2
Original post by zohmygoditsgabby
I did the same topics as you but I thought it was okay, it could have been worse. It might sound silly but that Social Welfare question in the population section, what even is social welfare?

Yeah I just feel like I wasn't answering the questions properly? If that makes sense. And I think I tried to answer that but only had 2 lines and it was a 6 mark question, but I remember my teacher saying something about social welfare, I should have listened!
Yeah I just feel like I wasn't answering the questions properly? If that makes sense. And I think I tried to answer that but only had 2 lines and it was a 6 mark question, but I remember my teacher saying something about social welfare, I should have listened!

We had actually done that question from a past paper in class and I still had no idea what to write! You know for the coastal land forms of deposition or erosion etc, what did you do? I did headlands and bays and long shore drift, am I right saying that Dover has headlands and bays? I have no idea I just knew they have cliffs there! :L
Reply 4
We had actually done that question from a past paper in class and I still had no idea what to write! You know for the coastal land forms of deposition or erosion etc, what did you do? I did headlands and bays and long shore drift, am I right saying that Dover has headlands and bays? I have no idea I just knew they have cliffs there! :L

No idea about Dover, I didn't use any case studies in this question! I wrote about Sub-Aerial Biological Weathering creating a stack/stump, Marine Erosion of cliffs into caves [leads to stack/stumps], Longshore Drift.

You know the Population 15 marker about how two different developed countries have tried to control population or whatever... I did France and Russia's Pro-Natal Policies. France is Stage 4 of the DTM and Russia is 3, do you think this was okay? My friends seemed to all focus on LEDC/MEDC...
No idea about Dover, I didn't use any case studies in this question! I wrote about Sub-Aerial Biological Weathering creating a stack/stump, Marine Erosion of cliffs into caves [leads to stack/stumps], Longshore Drift.

You know the Population 15 marker about how two different developed countries have tried to control population or whatever... I did France and Russia's Pro-Natal Policies. France is Stage 4 of the DTM and Russia is 3, do you think this was okay? My friends seemed to all focus on LEDC/MEDC...

I should have done stacks and stumps :/ would have been easier!
I talked to my geography teach after about that population question and he said it was easier to compare LEDCs and MEDCs but as long as the countries were in different stages of the DTM its fine, I did Thailand and France and I put France in early stage 5/late stage 4, I've never studied Russia before but I'm guessing it would be about a 3?
Reply 6
I should have done stacks and stumps :/ would have been easier!
I talked to my geography teach after about that population question and he said it was easier to compare LEDCs and MEDCs but as long as the countries were in different stages of the DTM its fine, I did Thailand and France and I put France in early stage 5/late stage 4, I've never studied Russia before but I'm guessing it would be about a 3?

Yeah Russia had the "Sex Day" policy, France had "code la famille" and they were the freshest in my mind. Did you write about AIDS in Uganda for the Health 15 marker?
Yeah Russia had the "Sex Day" policy, France had "code la famille" and they were the freshest in my mind. Did you write about AIDS in Uganda for the Health 15 marker?

I couldn't remember the France one but Thailand's thing was Cabbages & Condoms! I did AIDS in Zambia, it was hard to remember all the key facts though :/ that was probably my worst question. I was surprised CHD or any disease of affluence didn't come up that much!
Reply 8
I couldn't remember the France one but Thailand's thing was Cabbages & Condoms! I did AIDS in Zambia, it was hard to remember all the key facts though :/ that was probably my worst question. I was surprised CHD or any disease of affluence didn't come up that much!

yeah, i hope the grade boundaries are low, the only time I mentioned case studies properly was in the 15 markers :/ Oh man I hope I haven't messed up
yeah, i hope the grade boundaries are low, the only time I mentioned case studies properly was in the 15 markers :/ Oh man I hope I haven't messed up

I'm sure you've done fine! I mean if it wasn't expecting case studies, using them just helps explain more, and even if you missed out case studies you can still get a high level 2 on levelled questions! Let me know how well you did after results day!! :smile: Best of luck for that!
What other AS levels do you take?
I sat this exam doing Rivers, coasts, population and health issues.
I found it generally straight forward until I got to population. I think that is where I have lost most marks..
Also, I didn't seem to use that many case studies really and this is something that some of my friends have also said!
Hopefully I have done alright..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
The exam was okay...

I turned over the paper and got completely confused with the first question. :') Just eventually used common sense, woo!

For me, the hardest question was drawing a coastal feature of a submergent coastline, purely because I can't draw. My Dalmatian coast, was not very nice. Now I come to think of it, I didn't use any case studies with the 15 coast marker, whoops! I just discussed longshore drift and how it forms beaches and how this prevents erosion blah blah blah. I then discussed soil creep as it's one of the only ongoing processes of mass movement and how the stepped terracettes are a unique feature. Also, how the eventual scree will be used as abrasion.

Overall it was okay. Only other quibble is the 15 mark population question. I never actually said that China and Singapore were at different stages of development; I just presumed it was fairly straightforward...
Grade boundaries are usually very low though. :smile:
Is a Knochen and Lochen a submergent land form? I had no idea for that question! Tbh I only looked at submergent landforms just before the exam!
Is a Knochen and Lochen a submergent land form? I had no idea for that question! Tbh I only looked at submergent landforms just before the exam!

Have no idea what these landforms are haha! Never heard of them!
I was taught that Rias, Fjords and Dalmation coasts were examples of submergent landforms...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Herrington_x
Have no idea what these landforms are haha! Never heard of them!
I was taught that Rias, Fjords and Dalmation coasts were examples of submergent landforms...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I should have played it safe and gone with rias or fjords, I had no idea how to explain how they form though
I should have played it safe and gone with rias or fjords, I had no idea how to explain how they form though

Well I went with Fjords. I wasn't too sure on all of the details about how they formed to be honest cause there was only a little section on them in my textbook! But I babbled on a bit and hoped I sounded intelligent :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Herrington_x
Well I went with Fjords. I wasn't too sure on all of the details about how they formed to be honest cause there was only a little section on them in my textbook! But I babbled on a bit and hoped I sounded intelligent :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

With the isostatic and eustatic stuff I was really hoping for emergent landforms like raised beaches and fossil landforms, they're so much easier!
I did rivers coasts population and health, I found the exam pretty difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending