Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was just wondering, as A-level choices come up for me this autumn/winter, what English Lang/Lit combined is like? I like writing creatively and analysing language features & literature, but despise the idea of doing a whole A-level on Literature alone. English Language by itself is not an option at the school sixth form, but I wouldn't pick it anyway even if it was.
    Any tips/previous experience which would be useful or interesting to me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I chose English Literature, the content depends on your board (I have OCR) - for some parts of the coursework you could switch instead of an essay on [X] to do a creative writing piece (but based on [X]) anyway so it's not always just writing essays all the time (but it does feel like that during Spring term), but universities tend to favour English Literature anyway as there's more breadth to the reading you do (which is probably why your school doesn't offer Language on it's own)

Well judging by your post I think Lang/Lit would perfect for you. I do AQA AS English Lit Lag and I love it. You read two books and and for your coursework do an analytical piece and a creative piece (like a story) based on the books. For the exam, you have to compare two unseen texts in terms of how they achieve their purposes (this could be something like an advert from McDonalds and a random extract from a novel). On the second question in the exam you have to compare two texts from the anthology which you study throughout the year whilst simultaneously doing your coursework, and it'll be on how they convey a certain attitude, idea etc. the anthology will be based on a certain theme (this year it's food) as well as the coursework (this year it's escape) of which your material must relate to in some form. Hope that helps it's really not difficult if you have a keen interest in the subject and just practise. Doesn't really require revision. It's something which you gradually pick up, if that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S4LM4N)
    Well judging by your post I think Lang/Lit would perfect for you. I do AQA AS English Lit Lag and I love it. You read two books and and for your coursework do an analytical piece and a creative piece (like a story) based on the books. For the exam, you have to compare two unseen texts in terms of how they achieve their purposes (this could be something like an advert from McDonalds and a random extract from a novel). On the second question in the exam you have to compare two texts from the anthology which you study throughout the year whilst simultaneously doing your coursework, and it'll be on how they convey a certain attitude, idea etc. the anthology will be based on a certain theme (this year it's food) as well as the coursework (this year it's escape) of which your material must relate to in some form. Hope that helps it's really not difficult if you have a keen interest in the subject and just practise. Doesn't really require revision. It's something which you gradually pick up, if that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that makes sense! I love english- i just can't face pure literature. Thanks,this has been useful... I just looked up which exam board school uses and it's edexcel, would it be similar to AQA then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by chichi98)
    Yeah that makes sense! I love english- i just can't face pure literature. Thanks,this has been useful... I just looked up which exam board school uses and it's edexcel, would it be similar to AQA then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm I'm not sure

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.