Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. Anyone here sit the Advanced Higher Applied Mathematics; Mechanics today. I did it and found it really difficult, especially the section B. Pretty sure I failed. If you did the exam what was your thoughts on it/predicted grade haven sat the paper?

ReputationRep:
    We've been talking about it in the last few posts of the AH Maths thread.

I thought it was OK. General consensus is that people found it a little harder than past papers but then again people often say that about the exam they end up sitting.

This is my post from the AH Maths thread:

(Original post by mimx)
    It wasn't too bad. Think I might have done the particle on a hemisphere one wrong or at least inefficiently. The average lap speed round the triangle was tedious, or at least the way I did it was. Last few questions were quite nice, managed to get what they wanted after a bit of an algebraic slog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben king)
    Hi there. Anyone here sit the Advanced Higher Applied Mathematics; Mechanics today. I did it and found it really difficult, especially the section B. Pretty sure I failed. If you did the exam what was your thoughts on it/predicted grade haven sat the paper?
    I found it harder than past papers, and it took me a lot longer to finish, but I don't know if that's just to do with exam pressure or it actually being harder. I think I was alright, there were some weird questions though. I would have liked to have seen more "Show that" questions because they always let you know if you've got it right or not - I think there was only one in section A this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben king)
    (Original post by mimx)
    (Original post by Andrew217)
    Hey, I'm sitting this exam next year and it would be helpful if you could let me know what resources you used to study the course. I'm mainly wanting to know what textbook(s) you used or would recommend , thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadoreétudier)
    Hey, I'm sitting this exam next year and it would be helpful if you could let me know what resources you used to study the course. I'm mainly wanting to know what textbook(s) you used or would recommend , thanks!
    My school used "Understanding Mechancis" by DWS Thorning and AJ Sadler. The best thing to do is look at all the past papers, which are dotted around the internet on various schools' websites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew217)
    My school used "Understanding Mechancis" by DWS Thorning and AJ Sadler. The best thing to do is look at all the past papers, which are dotted around the internet on various schools' websites.
    I picked that book up from the library today. How much of the book do you think you used?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadoreétudier)
    I picked that book up from the library today. How much of the book do you think you used?
    Thanks
    Maybe a third or half? As a very rough estimate. Hard to judge as I didn't really keep track. So don't worry about how huge the book is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.