Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Got an uni exam next week and only started revising now. Need advice Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have exams starting next week.

Thing is, since I did so well in the coursework, I passed the modules.

However, I want a first, and that requires more work. I have been a bit busy lately, and can now start revision.

What advice can you give me?

I have 3 past papers to work from. Do universities copy questions from previous exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    Hi,

I have exams starting next week.

Thing is, since I did so well in the coursework, I passed the modules.

However, I want a first, and that requires more work. I have been a bit busy lately, and can now start revision.

What advice can you give me?

I have 3 past papers to work from. Do universities copy questions from previous exams?
    I think it depends on the uni/subject but for my first year history exam I have been looking at past papers and some of the questions have been repeated word for word on a couple of different exams. As I said I have no idea how common this is so I wouldn't count on it!

ReputationRep:
    There is usually an underlying theme but the questions will have a different twist to them.

"Revise hard" is the only advice worth giving.

Check out the rubric and see if you can strategically dodge certain topics - if you can, then revise smart.

ReputationRep:
    What subject? And what do you mean by 'revising'? I.e. have you not even picked up a textbook, or do you just need a quick skim over things to push yourself up to a first?

Assuming it's the latter, it really depends on the subject, but I would do all the past papers you can, and if you don't understand anything, learn it. This close to the exam there is probably no point doing anything methodical. However, you would probably benefit from making sheets of details to memorise.

Are you sure there are only three past papers? Is it quite a new course? University questions do often repeat themselves, but it's less likely if there are only three papers available.

ReputationRep:
    How do you do well in multiple choice papers?

ReputationRep:
    With all these 'revision for next week' things I hear, I think I'm doing it wrong... I revise the day before for a few hours till I get bored

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    How do you do well in multiple choice papers?
    Treat it like a normal exam, if there's something you can't do, eliminate the stupid answers and see what's left. Most importantly don't leave anything blank.

My revision usually only starts a week or 2 before an exam and I don't tend to do badly. What you have to do is revise smart, rather than lots. Look at the past papers and think about not only those particular questions but also the style of question and what it's asking you to do. Normally exam questions are written by your lecturers so use your knowledge of them and any work they have set previously to shape how you revise their topics. Also seeing as you've done well on the coursework don't be afraid to use that (and the feedback you got) as a tool to revise with.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.