Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I would appreciate some advice on how to lose belly fat. I've never had a flat stomach but recently have let my waist creep up to 36'', which is way to big for my 5ft 9 frame. Ideally I'd like to get it down to 30''. I'm on diet, but wondered if there were any particular exercises which would help me shift my beer gut.

ReputationRep:
    Sprinter crunches, regular crunches, squatting, basically standard stomach exercises, planking is great aswell, perhaps getting into a physical sport, everything helps.

But dont let that stop you DRINKING BEEEEER

ReputationRep:
    Nothing's gonna specifically shift abdominal fat any more than the rest of your fat - Lose weight altogether and your stomach will follow.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jahe,

The key to loosing body fat doesn't necessarily lie with exercise routines. Those previously mentioned by Jordan, such as crunches and planks are a great way to develop calisthenic strength and sculpt the abdominal muscles. However, building muscle mass isn't going to solve your issue alone. Typically, people are advised to try out dietary programs that aim to rid unwanted fat with changes to your food intake. Realistically, diets are no 'quick-fix' and I would suggest that you consider balancing your diet with more nutritionally beneficial foods, such as introducing complex carbohydrates into your diet and reducing the amount of unhealthy food you eat. I am presently unaware of what your exact diet consists of but rest assured, simple changes can go a long way.

From your description I would assume that you have an endomorphic body type. This is essentially one of three common types, in which the endomorph typically carries a heavier frame and finds it harder than most to build muscle. This may not be the case (as you have given me little to go on), though I would conclude that traditional practises with the intention of building muscle or loosing weight may be ineffective in your situation. For example, High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is unlikely to work as well for you as repetitive 30-45 minute exercise, 3 times a week. I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but understanding your own genetic make-up will help to identify what works best. There's no universal answer.

If you are looking to shed those waistline inches in a hurry then I personally recommend you research intermittent fasting. In Layman's terms, this is not so much a change to your food intake, but rather an altogether different approach to food consumption. It's basic principles require you to ignore the myth that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and prolong the time from which you stop eating the night before to early afternoon the following day. This allows the body to better digest the food and extract its nutrients, minimising the excess fat stores leftover. Intermittent fasting (IF) isn't for everyone, but it's one of the most effective ways to rid fat, and the quickest (IMHO). I went from 12% body fat to 6% in a little under a month, fasting 21 hours per day. That's an extreme situation but it shows how results are tangible if you're willing to dedicate yourself to that ultimate goal.

Start with the basics. Achieve a well-balanced diet, aim to drink at least 2 litres of fluid per day, engage in regular cardiovascular exercise and get your sleep! If you can maintain this lifestyle, you should set yourself up for a healthy future and shed the excess fat naturally. Once this happens, the true potential of any muscle-building exercises can be realised.

Good luck,

James

ReputationRep:
    you need to diet in order to lose your belly or simply eat less calories than you need daily.

But i am starting to believe in this cut down on carb thing not cut it out just cut down. maybe research into tht

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.