Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I'm applying for the access bursary, and emailed my counsellor from my previous uni (which I dropped out from after first semester) asking if she could give me a reference for the bursary, basically confirming what I said in my statement was true and to provide details on my background and financial situation.

She replied saying she'd be happy to give me a "migating circumstances" letter, but that it wouldn't be a detailed letter, etc. I replied back to her saying I'd appreciate it but the bursary page on the website does ask referees to give as much detail as possible about the applicant's background and such.

However, she's since sent my a letter which states the dates I had counselling appointments with her and saying that we discussed difficulties I had with anxiety and living in my flat and my decision to leave university and the financial implication, etc.

Now, I was assuming that they were asking for quite a lengthy in depth reference, but I am prone to writing 100 words when 20 will do, so perhaps I'm biased. Do you think that a reference of no more than a paragraph simply outlining the very basics would be enough?

Also do they send the reference themselves, or do they give it to the applicant (which in this case is me) for them to send on their behalf?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.