Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im stuck in a **** job. I dont find out when I work till the day before. I work for very little money. I can work 8+ without a break. Im on a 24 hour contract and if I dont get enough work to make it up I get paid and need to owe the hours back.

I've been trying for months to get out and find a new job to no avail. Which has really been getting me down

Until Last week I applied for the customer service apprenticeship with lloyds tsb and actually got through everything and offered the job subject to a backround check etc. I was so happy I was finally out of my current job and getting a decently paid new one

Today I checked the candidate portal to see "Offer refused' you do not meet out minimal criteria!
    I guess it was the credit check but I've always paid for everything on time. I've slipped into a over draft by mistake a few times because of point of sale transactions.

This has crushed me.

The only thing keeping me going is my girlfriend but if I can't afford to do things with her she wont stay I dont expect her to shes young

please help

anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Stick at it bro. Times are tough now but they won't always be if you plough through the difficult bits. Life is filled with ups and downs, but don't let it beat you.

Keep looking for a new job, you will prevail.

One day you'll read this thread back and realise how far your life has come on.

Good luck

(Original post by NWA)
    Stick at it bro. Times are tough now but they won't always be if you plough through the difficult bits. Life is filled with ups and downs, but don't let it beat you.

Keep looking for a new job, you will prevail.

One day you'll read this thread back and realise how far your life has come on.

Good luck
    Thanks for the response but if I keep another job I'll fail the check again u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the response but if I keep another job I'll fail the check again u

I have a bad credit rating too, but employers don't carry out credit checks on you as standard. It was only because you were applying to work in a bank. No other employer will do that.

(Original post by LinzyLoo)
    I have a bad credit rating too, but employers don't carry out credit checks on you as standard. It was only because you were applying to work in a bank. No other employer will do that.
    Would slipping into an overdraft really be that bad?

ReputationRep:
    Depression is a *****, I understand that. Things will get better though. Keep looking for work, you will find the right job eventually. I spent a year looking for work, and kept getting turned down after interviews at places where I really wanted to work, it was soul crushing. Just don't give up, keep applying and keep looking, bad credit isn't going to hold you down for most things. Look at it it this was; at least you have a girlfriend and a job, some people are a lot worse off.

ReputationRep:
    No offense intended at all...but i think this is just a simple case of life is hard, deal with it, keep trying. Be thankful for your health, your girlfriend and every other luxury we have living in the UK...

(Original post by Swanbow)
    Depression is a *****, I understand that. Things will get better though. Keep looking for work, you will find the right job eventually. I spent a year looking for work, and kept getting turned down after interviews at places where I really wanted to work, it was soul crushing. Just don't give up, keep applying and keep looking, bad credit isn't going to hold you down for most things. Look at it it this was; at least you have a girlfriend and a job, some people are a lot worse off.
    I dont understand why I have bad credit though

ReputationRep:
    Your girlfriend won't leave you just because you don't have money or pay to do things with her. There's plenty you can do together that is free or doesn't cost much.

As said above, most jobs don't do a credit check. You don't even know for sure that it was because of the credit check and I don't think going into your overdraft would cause you to have bad credit.

my parents have a lot of unpaid bills etc could that effect me?

ReputationRep:
    No, because they have their own credit profile. It wouldn't affect yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delain)
    That's a touch harsh. It can be really defeating when you can't find work, I know very well how the OP feels as I am in the same situation at the moment.
    He has a job, just not a very good one. He also has a girlfriend.

(Original post by fudgemuffins)
    Its finding a new one which is getting to me and the fact I almost got one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Its finding a new one which is getting to me and the fact I almost got one
    I think its good that you're on here as sometimes it can be reassuring to talk to others. the only thing you can do is keep trying honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)
    Having a partner doesn't magic away all other problems in a person's life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delain)
    Having a partner doesn't magic away all other problems in a person's life.
    Indeed, sometimes it can be an extra strain

ReputationRep:
    I had everything once, worked for my dads engineering consultancy in brazil spent most of my days stinking drunk surrounded by beautiful girls, fell out with my dad haven't seen or heard from him in 2 years. Since been in the navy, again hard work but spent most of my time in hot countries drunk with money I couldn't get a chance to spend, had a free beer allowance... Smashed my knee to bits in a bad weather boarding incident and had to leave. Since been on the dole can't find work anywhere as I left school with jot a single gcse or a level, girlfriend left me for no reason but with a little perseverance and graft I'm going to university keep at it mate things get better, it's all ups and downs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think once you find a good job your problems will dissapear. So just keep trying and you'll get there. I know having a **** job can be really defeating and being underpaid yet in employment also sucks, but you will find a new job and when you do everything will seem better

Also overdrafts are there to be use IMO

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.