Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently finishing a foundation course for actuarial science at Cass, more likely progressing on to IFRM instead as I prefer the economic content of the course (I mention this because I would like to know the general thoughts on this choice)

Basically I've gone through most of my life and opportunities have sort of dropped in my lap, but to get into IB through Cass I know I need to make myself stand out, and obviously a way to do this will be through gaining relevant work experience/internships.

Do I just email as many places as possible as soon as possible? or should I wait till 2nd year to start down this road.

I was hoping to get something for summer 2014, but I will only be a 1st year student at that point and I know its rare for 1st year students to get any real IB work experience without knowing someone.

When contacting a bank what sort of information should I include about myself, and how do I know where I should be emailing?

Beyond the bulge bracket banks is there much scope for employment at much smaller firms (with a decent graduate salary) and should I make these my focus for work experience etc.?

ReputationRep:
    So you're essentially finishing your 1st year out of 4 (to get the BSc)? Or going into the 1st year of 3 (whichever way you look at it). In that case, then you should check out spring weeks - internships over the spring tailored towards students who are in their first year (or 2nd year of a 4 year course). About 13 bulge bracket banks offer them - the likes of GS, JPM, MS, RBS, DB, HSBC, Barclays, CS, Citi etc etc.

Emailing/cold-calling round smaller and regional (emphasis on smaller and regional) finance firms is a good idea to get some other experience. Personally I think it is quite important to have something to do in the summer before you apply for penultimate year internships (doesn't have to be finance work experience, but if it is, then that's good). Personally when I emailed round, I would call (someone in the business rather than HR preferably) to pitch myself and make what I want and what I can offer clear (calling will impress more than emailing); usually I would just send a CV through, or cover letter if requested (most will only read the CV I expect though).

So yeah, in response to your last question, smaller places are better for ad-hoc experience. Larger banks have programmes for you to apply to (spring weeks, summer internships etc depending on your level). There are many smaller banks that will pay you more as a graduate than the larger ones - Greenhill, Lazard, many prop firms, etc will pay a lot (but some are very difficult to get into).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah finishing the first of 4 years essentially, but at Cass they don't have an easter break, so would it be a case of try and arrange something at a different time like a reading week, or just try for the set easter dates and miss a few lectures?

Thanks for your response by the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onekick92)
    Yeah finishing the first of 4 years essentially, but at Cass they don't have an easter break, so would it be a case of try and arrange something at a different time like a reading week, or just try for the set easter dates and miss a few lectures?

Thanks for your response by the way!
    It would probably depend on the sort of thing you're applying for. There might be a scheme that happens only during certain set times or you might be able to just tell them when you're free and they give you work in that time. You would need to ask each place you're applying for what their system is.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.