The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

What maths to revise before starting MSc?

Hi everyone,

I'm very excited to be starting an MSc in Hydrology in September (part of the Environmental & Water Resource engineering department) but I'm a bit worried about the difficulty of the mathematical aspects of the course, as I am not a natural mathematician (I did my undergrad degree in Geography which didn't require any complex maths and I only got a B at AS-level Maths).

Does anyone have any experience into how much maths is required for an environmental course and whether it would be a good idea to revise some A-level maths before starting the course - I was thinking some stats revision would be useful, or maybe some core?

I'm sure that Imperial wouldn't have given me an offer if they though I couldn't handle the course but I want to be as prepared as possible.

Reply 1
Would a Hydrology course not involve some fluid mechanics?

There's lots of different ways of teaching fluid mechanics, but if they plan to teach you the more general equations of motion for a fluid (Navier-Stokes), it would be good to understand what partial differentiation is. It's quite a simple concept though, so I wouldn't stress about it.

I suspect you will need to learn some extra maths, but there will be time to do it during the course.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Why not have a closer look at the contents of the course modules? The description documents sometimes contain reading lists. In browsing through them you'll develop a sense of the level of mathematics involved.

The module description documents for your course can be accessed here:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/civilengineering/prospectivestudents/postgraduatetaughtadmissions/ewresyllabus

Module CI9-EE-18 for example will go more smoothly if you have a good understanding of the S1 module under the GCE A Level mathematics syllabus. Any general introductory textbook on statistics will give you a sufficient grounding. In terms of any knowledge you'll be expected to have on, say, partial differentials, I highly recommend Herbert Gross's MIT video lectures (parts 1 and 2) accessible under MIT's OpenCourseWare Supplemental Resources.

In any event the contacts for the course will be happy to outline which mathematical compentencies they'd like to see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending