The Student Room Group

Bath or Cardiff

Hi Everyone,

I've got offers from Bath (AB), Cardiff (AB) and LJMU (BB) for Pharmacy. I already have one A level, so that is why I only need two grades.

I'm from Liverpool, so I do want to move away, hence my reluctance to put down Liverpool. I really liked the city of Bath, but I found the Uni a bit drab. That being said, I really liked the place, it was easy to get to, plus it was mentioned that there is the opportunity to study abroad.

I also liked Cardiff. It is a city uni, so I imagine you'd get to experience a bit more 'real life' experience.

However, I'm not sure where to pick for firm/insurance. Does anyone study at Cardiff or Bath? And what are your opinions on the courses? What would you do?

Thanks,

Mark
Reply 1
Original post by markisanark
Hi Everyone,

I've got offers from Bath (AB), Cardiff (AB) and LJMU (BB) for Pharmacy. I already have one A level, so that is why I only need two grades.

I'm from Liverpool, so I do want to move away, hence my reluctance to put down Liverpool. I really liked the city of Bath, but I found the Uni a bit drab. That being said, I really liked the place, it was easy to get to, plus it was mentioned that there is the opportunity to study abroad.

I also liked Cardiff. It is a city uni, so I imagine you'd get to experience a bit more 'real life' experience.

However, I'm not sure where to pick for firm/insurance. Does anyone study at Cardiff or Bath? And what are your opinions on the courses? What would you do?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark
This is really weird as I was having this exact dilemma a couple of weeks ago between Bath and Cardiff haha. I am sorry for this essay I am about to write!

I am also applying after a sort of gap year (I have resit exams in June to get my overall grades up to their offer) last year I applied to Bath and Cardiff and put bath as my firm and Cardiff as my insurance but got rejected on results day for not getting the grades.
This year I sort of thought id put bath as my firm again but I had second thoughts as I am now a year older so city living in Cardiff isnt as...scary haha and I've changed in a year and want different things from uni.
I've always loved Cardiff city and uni but I also liked Baths city (wish I had a pound for the amount of people that have told me "what a lovely city bath is" I wouldnt have to become a pharmacist haha!) but I've never found Bath uni that great, yeah I liked it but I was never like, wow! Like you said and totally agree with, its a bit drab. After first year youd have to trek up the massive hill or fork out money to get the bus :/ plus the buildings aren't nice to look at and I went there recently and found it a bit depressing and not as friendly as Cardiff! (im trying my best to not be biased!)
I went to Cardiff the other week a few days after revisiting Bath and loved it. I stayed at my friends halls, everyone really friendly (but would be the same anywhere) I couldn't get over how easily it was to go around the city and 5 mins in one direction was the pharmacy building and 5 mins in the other direction is the city centre. Better night life too haha.
In terms of the course, I don't think they vary between unis as it's got to be accredited. But the semester abroad at Bath seemed great but the bloke said the top students normally go (so probs wouldnt be me ha) and I read in the Cardiff prospectus that they also offer eramis which is the chance to go abroad so they were both even in terms for the course. It just came down to actually living there which I preferred by miles Cardiff. Also a few people who I have spoken to have said they knew people who went to Cardiff to do pharmacy who loved it.
So in the end I firmed Cardiff and insured Bath. Also Cardiff is easier to get home for me as it's an hour away direct train rather than a change over 1.5 hour train.
I do have friends at both unis and they are loving it so either place you go to, youd have a great time so really it's a nice decision to make :smile:
In terms of Liverpool, I never applied there so I don't know, but maybe put it as your insurance just incase if it's lower grades than the two? But I don't know :P
If it's at all possible, (I found it a pain to find time to visit) to go to both cities and see what vibes you get if you're really stuck between the two. That really helped me and now im happy that I've finally made a decision! I don't want to persuade you towards Cardiff as I've been really biased but good luck! Would be nice to hear where you pick!

Hope I have helped in some way?!
Holly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I go to Bath and it is an excellent course. I haven't heard much about Cardiff except that the majority of the people that study pharmacy there are either Welsh or Asian, and if you're not either it can be very cliquey (because they speak in their own language)

The study abroad part of Bath is what attracted me to it too, you can go to America, Australia, New Zealand or some places in Europe. I know the actually uni buildings arent the most attractive but they are doing a lot of work and the new buildings being built are really nice, and the actual lecture spaces and labs are excellent. The pharmacy building itself is really nice and well equipped (it has a really good mock dispensary).

To be honest they are both nice cities, Bath has a slightly better reputation but Cardiff is still a good university. It really depends what you want, if nightlife is a big thing for you then I'd say Cardiff, I've always found Bath nightlife to be pretty good but Cardiff is more 'exciting'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending