Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark Lee,
    I've received a letter informing me that I am not able to be considered as an independent student as I earn below 'an appropriate level'. I must therefore use my parents income to support my application. I have downloaded the necessary forms from http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/householdincome.

At the time of writing I am eligible for Tuition Loan (Which fully covers my Tuition costs) and a £3,575 Maintenance Loan. I am aware my £3,375 Maintenance Loan is only 65% of the possible £5,500 Maximum Maintenance Loan as my application is not yet income assessed. (no grants either yet)

My parents have told me there is a possibility their income before tax may just about exceed the £42,611 threshold, which I understand means that I won't receive a grant. But would this also effect my loan amount? I really need as close to the Maximum £5,500
    Maintenance Loan as possible. I did a few tests with the online Finance Calculator and it seemed to lower to loan amount the further I went over £42,611 the lower the loan went.

Thanks
    Liam H
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Liam,

Yes the income assessment will also affect your loan entitlement and even if you aren't eligible to receive a Maintenance Grant your Maintenance Loan may still increase.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.