Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a slight gap on my topt 2 front teeth and my top teeth stick out about 4mm over bottom ones

ReputationRep:
    It's completely up to you. Braces would certainly solve that but it depends on how much it affects you. If your teeth aren't squashed together or at odd angles then you would be fine without. If youre seriously thinking about it, then maybe see what your dentist has to say and depending on your age and situation whether you can get it on the NHS or not.

I have to say that the experience of having braces really differs from person to person: I have a friend whose braces have continued to cut up her mouth and give her ulcers for the whole two years she's had them, but I've had braces for about 4 months now and that problem vanished within two weeks.

I'd suggest you talk to your dentist to see what options you have, and also take a look online about braces to decide whether you're up for them or not.

ReputationRep:
    You should think about it first. The truth is, braces are a commitment, and it's not always nice to have them.

I've gotten braces when I was 13 - tbh it was more my parents' decision than mine at the time - and I've only had them removed after almost 4 years have passed, even though my dentist initially told me that I'd be wearing them for 2 years. They hurt a LOT, at least they in my case, my mouth was cut up and I had ulcers all the time. And you've also got to have regular check-ups with your dentist because the progress/lack of progress has to be monitored. You can't eat the way you're used to - you've got to cut up apples and similar foods - unless you want your braces to break. So it's not really fun having them.

I made it sound so grim, but in retrospect, I'm really glad that my parents have decided that I should have them, everybody compliments my smile now
    So if your teeth don't bother you that much, you don't really have to get them. I agree with the person above me, you should talk to your dentist and see what your options are - chances are you might not even need braces, you could end up with night retainers!

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Its up to you. I had braces and it hurt the first few days of having them on and the first days of them being tightened. Also when i had them taken off. I absolutely loved my braces! i dont know why! (yes im a weird child) but i just liked having them on and they looked cool! But its entirely up to you though!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.