Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In PSHE class yesterday, there was an interesting debate about where AIDs first came from.

Two people without aids having sex cannot get AIDs from each other. Therefore, where did it come from, if no one had AIDs before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerline)
    In PSHE class yesterday, there was an interesting debate about where AIDs first came from.

Two people without aids having sex cannot get AIDs from each other. Therefore, where did it come from, if no one had AIDs before?
    You could ask: where did any virus come from? HIV is no different from any other virus except it attacks white blood cells, which makes you more open to attack from other infections.

ReputationRep:

Cute lil monkeys.

ReputationRep:
    Monkeys.

And apparently syphillus came form llamas

ReputationRep:
    Eating an animal infected with it or a bite from a host animal probably, its unlikely to have originated in humans.

ReputationRep:
    The Iluminati created it in a secret underground laboratory under the Vatican, and spread it via contaminated homeless people, in order to reduce population growth. Surely everybody knows that.

ReputationRep:
    I am not really sure is there any truth in it.

But when I was studying biology, my teacher told us that Aids originates from the gorillas in the jungles. Because of urbanisation and industrialisation, workers clearing the jungles became so desperate and they have some hanky panky with the beasts and when they return to civilisation.. ta da.. they began spreading the virus.

It's abit lame, but well that was what my teacher said. I wonder is she having us on or whether is there any truth in it... hehe..

ReputationRep:
    Monkeys in the Amazon.
    I knew there had to be a reason I hated monkeys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Sounds like one of my nights in town.
    With a pig?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    With a pig?
    Haha... that's a nice one for little piggy !

ReputationRep:
    oh dear!

ReputationRep:
    AIDS isn't only transmitted via sexual intercourse though - it can be passed through blood or tissues. So a bite from a monkey or eating one could do it.

ReputationRep:
    The same way every new virus starts, through some sort of mutation in an existing virus. That will cause the nucleus to change and therefore as the cell replicates, the virus does not change. In fact, the makeup of the aids virus continually changes, and that is what makes it so hard to treat. There is not only one form.

As for some lads shagging monkeys in the jungle, no thanks.

ReputationRep:
    lolz.. pretty scary thoughts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baby_Angelz)
    I am not really sure is there any truth in it.

But when I was studying biology, my teacher told us that Aids originates from the gorillas in the jungles. Because of urbanisation and industrialisation, workers clearing the jungles became so desperate and they have some hanky panky with the beasts and when they return to civilisation.. ta da.. they began spreading the virus.

It's abit lame, but well that was what my teacher said. I wonder is she having us on or whether is there any truth in it... hehe..

Lol! But not too far from the truth! The most respected theory is that it does originate from urbanisation, deforestation and mans grees - cutting down the rain forests has unleashed a whole range of visuses usually hidden deep int he hearts of rainforests and the like - Aids, ebola, Marburg and others....

ReputationRep:
    What living organisms can carry AIDS?

I haven't done science for 3 years now.. it's quite intimidating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)

blood cells

ReputationRep:

It is now generally accepted that HIV is a descendant of simian (monkey) immunodeficiency virus (SIV).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)

Strickly speaking only man, but there is a monkey version called SIV simian immunodeficiency virus. SIV is the 'ancestor' of modern human AIDs.

There are two known hAIDS viruses - HIV-1 and HIV-2 - originated in chimpanzees and sooty mangabeys, respectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Strickly speaking only man, but there is a monkey version called SIV simian immunodeficiency virus. SIV is the 'ancestor' of modern human AIDs.
    But can AIDS affect monkeys and SIV affect humans?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.