The Student Room Group

is the outer membrane permeable to H+ ions!?

SO in the book it says that 'the inner membrane has a different lipid composition from the outer membrane and is impermeable to most small ions, including hydrogen ions', but it doesn't mention anywhere in the book whether or not the outer membrane is impermeable to H+ ions? :confused:
H+ ions are hydrogen ions!
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
H+ ions are hydrogen ions!

Yes I know, but its saying that the inner membrane is impermeable to hydrogen ions, so my question is, is the outer membrane also impermeable to hydrogen ions? I'm thinking that perhaps it may let some through (outer membrane) as it mentions somewhere in the book that there's proton leakage, so the leakage is most probably from the outer membrane.:confused:
The outer membrane is permeable to H ions and to most things really. The inner membrane is selectively permeable with most things being transported across it by active transport in order to regulate what goes through it.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
The outer membrane is permeable to H ions and to most things really. The inner membrane is selectively permeable with most things being transported across it by active transport in order to regulate what goes through it.

But then aren't the protons lost through the outer membrane, or is only a little bit lost?
Yes protons move freely across the outer membrane.
Reply 6
Only a little bit is lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending