Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"Whole life terms for police killers" - Home Secretary watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    "Criminals who kill police officers in England and Wales will face compulsory whole life sentences, Home Secretary Theresa May is to propose.

She will unveil plans for a change in legislation at the Police Federation conference in Bournemouth.

The current minimum sentence for a police murder is 30 years."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22534665

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    In two minds about this.

On the one hand it's wrong to say the murder of someone is worse than the murder of someone else because one of those people wore a uniform, but it's also fair that the Police represent a core principle of society, of security and law-abiding citizens and a direct attack on that is particularly callous.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it would be acceptable if there was also a similar tariff for policemen/women who kill ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7WaNBvAfmQ

ReputationRep:
    Seems odd to me. Being a policeman is a dangerous job and there is the possibility of death. If I were a criminal, I would see the police as being the enemy, and would be more likely to kill them than an ordinary citizen. Also, would I be right in thinking that this would be the most severely punish crime in the UK? Surely infanticide and mass murder are more serious crimes.

ReputationRep:
    Give criminals who kill police life imprisonment but what about the police who kill people what sentences do they get? What about the police who shot Mark Duggan in broad daylight what will happen to them NOTHING, what about Ian Tomlinson who was pushed and hit with a banton by PC Simon Harwood what did he get Life imprisonment NO, even get a sentence for manslaughter NO He didnt even get a prison conviction! 1 Rule for the police another rule for others.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with this.

If the minimum sentence is already 30 years then for me that is enough, I think most people would accept that in becoming a police officer you're probably more likely to be killed than an ordinary member of the public due to the nature of the situations you will be exposed to.

Are we to take it that a police officer's life is in some way more valuable or important than the lives of others? If so then it makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Of course there has to be a deterrent but if 30 years in prison doesn't deter people then I am unsure what will.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if they're specifically targeting them (like making a fake 999 call to lure them out and kill them), but the idea still makes me feel uneasy.

Maybe the line could be drawn between whether the police took the fight to the killer (armed raid where they knew the risks), or whether it was cold-blooded luring and murder :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    This is one of those populist statements politicians sometimes make safe in the knowledge they'll never have to defend it as it will never be pursued.

ReputationRep:
    I understand they have to rebalance a consequences for harming people who are more likely going to be involved in sorting out violence but there isn't any way they're going to be able to lock people up forever unless they're the most dangerous murderers out there.

ReputationRep:
    Do they mean life as in 15 years or a real life imprisonment, like in America?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shengis14)
    Do they mean life as in 15 years or a real life imprisonment, like in America?
    Whole life terms.

In the US, killing a cop is a capital crime - they'll give you the death sentence for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Whole life terms.

In the US, killing a cop is a capital crime - they'll give you the death sentence for it.
    I know, I meant how they don't get out again, they die in jail

And I was just clarifying incase it meant that they had to serve the whole 15 years without parole

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shengis14)
    I know, I meant how they don't get out again, they die in jail

And I was just clarifying incase it meant that they had to serve the whole 15 years without parole
    Well if you'd troubled yourself to do something as simple as read the first post, you'd have known, let alone read the article it's linked to.

As per the OP and the article, it would mean anyone guilty of murdering a police officer gets put in jail and then never leaves.

ReputationRep:
    I do not think police murderers should get any more prison time than other murderers, police are highly trained and know the risks of their job! My problem is the ''lifelong imprisonment'' part, i don't like the idea of a murderer getting free lodging, food and healthcare without any contribution. Put them to work earning their keep, while making money for the government and a little extra for their families or even their victims families.

I know there's the argument of them taking away work from ordinary folks but the money it would make for the government could be invested in things like education, business loans, NHS ect. creating more highly skilled and highly paid work for non-murderers. :top2:

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for whole life terms for killing police officers, but that should be the term for anyone convicted of murder regardless of who they kill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaLeRo)
    police are highly trained and know the risks of their job!
    But they still might sue you for tripping over your kerb...

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree that this ruling should be specific to police tbh, surely murder is murder? I mean even if you do want to make attacking law enforcement a more serious crime, what about someone killing a traffic warden? Or hell what about emergency services in general? Is killing a paramedic while he's trying to save someone worthy of life in prison? Following on from that what about killing a doctor? Or a firemen?..it just seems like an arbitrary slippery slope to me. If you murder someone in cold blood I don't think who they are should impact on your sentence, whether I murder my local MP or the cleaner at Tesco, a life is a life surely? Both will have families devastated by their loss, they're both human beings.

ReputationRep:
    Why is the life of a police officer more valuable than that of an ordinary citizen?

ReputationRep:
    Disagree. I love how pedos and rapists get away with minimal sentences. I guess the self interest comes into it here, who will look after the rich and powerful? Police officers. The rich dont need to think about pedos they live in their gentrified huts.

ReputationRep:
    Failing to see why police killing should warrant a harsher punishment than other killing, at all. Someone explain?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.