Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a Drama exam coming up and I'm really struggling with the directors concept part of the exam. The play we are doing is Lysistrata and my concept is the suffragettes, I need to annotate the script with ideas for at least 5 scenes and I have no ideas whatsoever except for costume! I don't even know where to start. Any tips, ideas or general help would be gratefully received! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, suffragettes is a great concept. I'm doing exactly the same and went with gang culture to focus on the war aspects. I take it that you're going down the feminist route. All you need to do is make sure that you can link your choices and decisions to traditional Greek theatre and mention the similarities/differences in your exam.
    What is your staging and seating going to be like? Are you keeping it similar to the Greek amphitheatre staging? If not, why not? So, if you're choosing in the round seating, is that because you want the audience to feel more intimate or included? Make sure you have a knowledge of your staging and reasons why.
    It's also important that you cover your set and how it links to your concept. 1880's-1910 was the height of the Suffragette movement so perhaps you might choose to locate it in a city square etc. Remember that in Lysistrata, there are only two sets; outside Lysistrata and Calonice's house and in front of the Acropolis (the acropolis has to be offstage remember.# Also, how are you going to stage the erect phalli that these men seem to walk around with? Or how will you show the Baby that Myrrhine and Cinesias have? What will you use for the old men's fire pitchers or the old women's water? What about your cast? How many? Make sure you KEEP LINKING BACK TO HOW ARISTOPHANES ORIGINALLY DID IT
    When this play was first performed at the Dianysis festival, there will have been 24 choral members but only 3 or 4 principle actors #they will have multi-rolled.# Your concept is basically a way for you to tick boxes on what you've learnt so far. I made the error of focusing too much on the artistic side and what it would look like on stage and so restarted. It's really just ticking boxes for the examiner.
    Something that I definitely had to think about was: WHAT IS YOUR KEY INTENTION? Make sure you know the key themes that your interpretation includes. My intention is to highlight the devastation of war and how everyone is a loser. Also, who influences your interpretation? Brecht is one of my influential practitioners because the old comedy style that Aristophanes used is well suited to large, exaggerated characters #buffoonery et.# I also plan to have my principle characters multi-rolling #as this is what they will have done in Ancient Greece# and I will have them changing costume on stage #as part of my Brechtian influence.#
    Aristophanes' original intention wouldn't have been feminism as the entire audience #with the exception of a few slaves# will have been male. #You could say that feminism relates more to a contemporary audience.# However, he does give Lysistrata a power and respect that the other women don't display #the other women are in fact shown as quite dim-witted.# How are you going to show Lysistrata as different to other women? Also, how will you differentiate between Sparta and Athens? Perhaps through costume? Accent? Make sure you have an idea for that
    I hope this has been some form of help. 1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PRACTITIONER OR THEATRE COMPANY TO DRAW INFLUENCE FROM #and that it's relative to your concept and the play.# 2. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR INTENTION AND HOW YOU WANT YOUR AUDIENCE TO FEEL 3. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THOUGHT OF YOUR CONCEPT FOR ALL ASPECTS OF THE PLAY #every scene, if you're setting it suffragette, how will you direct the Myrrhine and Cinesias scene where he is trying to bed her?# Good luck with your exam and concept!

ReputationRep:
    ugh, I'm in the same position apart from the fact that we're doing Woyzeck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position! I've read my script to Lysistrata, my ODC for it is that I was to set it in the future, the oath as a hologram of the world, each of the woman represent a continent in the world and all meet at one place to do the oath, the reconciliation as the worlds resources like water and energy, but I just don't know how to annotate my script! And a little tip for all taking the exam!!! TIP - my teacher went through the previous exams with us in class and apparently, reconciliation hasn't come up in the exam, so there is a high possibility that it will appear in this one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butchh)
    ugh, I'm in the same position apart from the fact that we're doing Woyzeck!
    I'm doing AQA , are you?

ReputationRep:
    I think so yes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newbyd)
    Hey, suffragettes is a great concept. I'm doing exactly the same and went with gang culture to focus on the war aspects. I take it that you're going down the feminist route. All you need to do is make sure that you can link your choices and decisions to traditional Greek theatre and mention the similarities/differences in your exam.
    What is your staging and seating going to be like? Are you keeping it similar to the Greek amphitheatre staging? If not, why not? So, if you're choosing in the round seating, is that because you want the audience to feel more intimate or included? Make sure you have a knowledge of your staging and reasons why.
    It's also important that you cover your set and how it links to your concept. 1880's-1910 was the height of the Suffragette movement so perhaps you might choose to locate it in a city square etc. Remember that in Lysistrata, there are only two sets; outside Lysistrata and Calonice's house and in front of the Acropolis (the acropolis has to be offstage remember.# Also, how are you going to stage the erect phalli that these men seem to walk around with? Or how will you show the Baby that Myrrhine and Cinesias have? What will you use for the old men's fire pitchers or the old women's water? What about your cast? How many? Make sure you KEEP LINKING BACK TO HOW ARISTOPHANES ORIGINALLY DID IT
    When this play was first performed at the Dianysis festival, there will have been 24 choral members but only 3 or 4 principle actors #they will have multi-rolled.# Your concept is basically a way for you to tick boxes on what you've learnt so far. I made the error of focusing too much on the artistic side and what it would look like on stage and so restarted. It's really just ticking boxes for the examiner.
    Something that I definitely had to think about was: WHAT IS YOUR KEY INTENTION? Make sure you know the key themes that your interpretation includes. My intention is to highlight the devastation of war and how everyone is a loser. Also, who influences your interpretation? Brecht is one of my influential practitioners because the old comedy style that Aristophanes used is well suited to large, exaggerated characters #buffoonery et.# I also plan to have my principle characters multi-rolling #as this is what they will have done in Ancient Greece# and I will have them changing costume on stage #as part of my Brechtian influence.#
    Aristophanes' original intention wouldn't have been feminism as the entire audience #with the exception of a few slaves# will have been male. #You could say that feminism relates more to a contemporary audience.# However, he does give Lysistrata a power and respect that the other women don't display #the other women are in fact shown as quite dim-witted.# How are you going to show Lysistrata as different to other women? Also, how will you differentiate between Sparta and Athens? Perhaps through costume? Accent? Make sure you have an idea for that
    I hope this has been some form of help. 1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PRACTITIONER OR THEATRE COMPANY TO DRAW INFLUENCE FROM #and that it's relative to your concept and the play.# 2. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR INTENTION AND HOW YOU WANT YOUR AUDIENCE TO FEEL 3. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THOUGHT OF YOUR CONCEPT FOR ALL ASPECTS OF THE PLAY #every scene, if you're setting it suffragette, how will you direct the Myrrhine and Cinesias scene where he is trying to bed her?# Good luck with your exam and concept!
    How are you using gang culture as a concept? What is your Acropolis represented by? What type of character does your Magistrate represent?

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, I was wondering if anybody had any useful notes for rehearsal techniques for Woyzeck, to explore the use of songs & music.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, im also doing the lysistrata exam but edexcel, how are we all feeling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lkarai)
    Hi guys, im also doing the lysistrata exam but edexcel, how are we all feeling?
    i am feeling good about it- what have your teachers suggested on which extracts may come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newbyd)
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate the effort you went to to help me, this is great!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.