Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there someone here who's good maths because l' am in new colllege swindon and am doing maths in 2014. The problem in l have been given some pst papers and am finding it quite hard to them. The hard thing is the 1st couple of pages are fine but when you go a little bit further "am like waaaat" then l end up with 8-17 mark which is crap. l dont relly understand gcse maths. :confused::confused::mad:

ReputationRep:
    A-level mathematician at your service, what you stuck on?

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to ask me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am doing a foundation gcse past paper these a the Q? write 28.05914 correct to 1 decimal place, 2 decimal places and 3 decimals places.
    Solve
    x+2=9___________

5y-1=9_____________

4t+17=19__________

yep this is wat l want support wif

ReputationRep:
    I am doing a foundation gcse past paper these a the Q? write 28.05914 correct to 1 decimal place, 2 decimal places and 3 decimals places.
    Solve
    x+2=9___________

5y-1=9_____________

4t+17=19__________

yep this is wat l want support wif

ReputationRep:
    Well lets start with decimal places. if you looking for 1 d.p then you can ignor everything after two decimal places

so in this case , we are just looking at 28.05
    Now you have to look at the last number so 5, does 5 round up or down? 5 rounds up so we add 1 to the number befor it, in this case 0, o+1 =1.

this leaves us with 28.1 (we have now removed the 5 from the end)

This method works to any d.p 's. so 3 d.p

We can ignore everything after 4d.p (you have to to ignor everything after one d.p more than you are looking for)

this leaves 28.0591

now look at the last number does in round up or down, 1 is less then 5 so it rounds down. this means you add 0 to the number befor, and remove the 1

Does that help let me know, try and do 2 d.p yourself

actually reading this back it may be a little confusing, let me know if you do get otherwise i will try a different approach

ReputationRep:
    I'ma try my best to explain the next part!

In terms of solving the equations, you have to know the basic rules which consist of simply doing the inverse (the opposite) to find the letter.

x+2=9,
    In order to find what x equals (x=..), you must move the 2 to the other side. On the left, we have x + 2 so in order to move it we have to do the inverse. The inverse of + is - and therefore x would equal 9 minus 2, (x=9-2), which equals 7.

When you have a number directly in front of the letter you are trying to find the value of, this means it is being multiplied by that number. So 5y is 5 multiplied by y. Therefore to move the 5 to the other side, you must do the opposite - which is dividing. However before that, you must do any adding or subtracting.

So for 5y - 1 = 9. First you would move the 1 (by adding) and then you would divide by the 5 to give an answer of 2 as 10/5 = 2.

ReputationRep:
    If u still need help, just ask me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 15, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.