Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Just a quick question, in this mad world of social media I want to know who has had enough and deleted their Facebook for good and why??

ReputationRep:
    I'm absolutely dying to, but I'm too nosy. I want to know who's pregnant, who's engaged and when!!

ReputationRep:
    me! had to wait 14 days to actually delete it

others "deactivate" it but actually have not deleted it permanently

I would honestly highly recommend it.

Socilising becomes more genuine and interesting..for example.. if I meet someone now and ask how they are, I do not have a notion how they are or what they have been up to..but when I had facebook.. it seemed so fake when I asked someone how they were and what they had been at.. I knew exactly due to facebook..

My social skills have become better as well!

DELETE IT! GO!

LINK TO DELETE IT PERMANENTLY

https://www.facebook.com/login.php?next=https%3A%2F%2Fwww .facebook.com%2Flogin%2Freauth.p hp%3Fnext%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252F www.facebook.com%252Fhelp%252Fde lete_account

Would people who have Facebook mind posting it? I think it needs to be made more open to others! Share the link please?

ReputationRep:
    Facebook is more and more annoying. I have deactivated my account for revision and do not want to go back. The thing is that is the only way for me to stay connected with all my friend and stuff cause they are all really actively interested in it. Couldnt human being come up with a better idea that Fb?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no and i'm not going to, i want to have some kind of contact with old friends. what if something important happens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    me! had to wait 14 days to actually delete it

others "deactivate" it but actually have not deleted it permanently

I would honestly highly recommend it.

Socilising becomes more genuine and interesting..for example.. if I meet someone now and ask how they are, I do not have a notion how they are or what they have been up to..but when I had facebook.. it seemed so fake when I asked someone how they were and what they had been at.. I knew exactly due to facebook..

My social skills have become better as well!

DELETE IT! GO!
    Have you got a link/website where it can be done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exlunu)
    Facebook is more and more annoying. I have deactivated my account for revision and do not want to go back. The thing is that is the only way for me to stay connected with all my friend and stuff cause they are all really actively interested in it. Couldnt human being come up with a better idea that Fb?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It seems not, I am lucky as my friend seem to "tweet" these days. It just seems like old hat now and I don't care who is having a nice lunch or who feels crap after a night out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlantVZombie)
    Have you got a link/website where it can be done?
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0185735AAjhOoX

i think that is it good luck! take the leap of faith! It'll be hard after the first few days, after that, it's awesome! You feel free from the gossip and unique from the crowd

ReputationRep:
    I want to but I really can't be bothered with everybody going "Oh, I can't get hold of you, you don't have facebook!"

It's become as popular as a mobile phone and who'd get rid of their phone these days? You can't feasibly do it without losing contact with people.

ReputationRep:
    I have just got rid of loads of my facebook freinds, leaving only my best mates and family, this is because im applying to university in september and i know they search you on the internet, im not going to delete it compleatly though as no trace looks suspiciouse and i dont want to appere out of touch to prospective universities. I didnt have anything bad on my profile, but i didn't really know most of my old Facebook freinds they just went to my school, and they could of posted anything on my wall, and some off them i didnt really want to be associated with.

Don't know what to do about twitter though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    I want to but I really can't be bothered with everybody going "Oh, I can't get hold of you, you don't have facebook!"

It's become as popular as a mobile phone and who'd get rid of their phone these days? You can't feasibly do it without losing contact with people.
    Yes, that's true. But it shows who really values your friendship. The people who I am in contact with now are the people who matter.

If they can't spend an extra few minutes trying to get in contact with me, then, in my eyes, they are not really 'friends'

peace

Also: https://www.facebook.com/login.php?n...delete_account

Please have a look ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amber May)
    I have just got rid of loads of my facebook freinds, leaving only my best mates and family, this is because im applying to university in september and i know they search you on the internet, im not going to delete it compleatly though as no trace looks suspiciouse and i dont want to appere out of touch to prospective universities. I didnt have anything bad on my profile, but i didn't really know most of my old Facebook freinds they just went to my school, and they could of posted anything on my wall, and some off them i didnt really want to be associated with.

https://www.facebook.com/login.php?n...delete_account

please consider this! post it on facebook if you can

peace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0185735AAjhOoX

i think that is it good luck! take the leap of faith! It'll be hard after the first few days, after that, it's awesome! You feel free from the gossip and unique from the crowd
    Yeah, if I go out and people say, "hey you on facebook" I can reply with nope! How about a number or we meet up again IN PERSON like the good old days.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if I go out and people say, "hey you on facebook" I can reply with nope! How about a number or we meet up again IN PERSON like the good old days.
    exactly. I rarely text people and have no social network account. I only ring to organize things and I go out a lot ! And it also stops me pre judging people
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Whoever told you all of this is lying :laugh: Universities have much better things to do with their time then look up what a load of 17 year olds are doing. It's not a practical idea anyway as there will be tens of thousands of people applying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Whoever told you all of this is lying :laugh: Universities have much better things to do with their time then look up what a load of 17 year olds are doing. It's not a practical idea anyway as there will be tens of thousands of people applying
    Um, an outreach officer from a university, so yeah they do actually. in fact we had a whole assembly about it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Um, an outreach officer from a university, so yeah they do actually. in fact we had a whole assembly about it
    It's a load of ****, my college tried all the same scare tactics when I was applying too. Not only this but how you needed dozens of extra curricular activities, perfect attendance history, no detentions etc. No truth in it what so ever.

Most courses are going to get 1000+ people applying - it takes long enough for them to look over personal statements, references etc without wasting their time on this. You can't seriously believe that a prospective university is going to look badly on your application because you don't have a Facebook profile :laugh:

For example I have one of the most common first/last name combinations possible, even people who i'm mutual friends with have trouble finding me never mind a complete stranger. How would they know which one of them was me? Plus as everything is set to friends only, there won't be anything for them to see. Even if they did, when you consider what most university students get up to, what could possibly be so incriminating that they'd reject my application?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't deleted my Facebook, I don't see a reason to do so; it's an easy way to be contacted by people who don't have my number. I very rarely go on it unless I'm replying to an inbox or something though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Just a quick question, in this mad world of social media I want to know who has had enough and deleted their Facebook for good and why??
    i only go on facebook now just to see who is online and laugh at their pitiful lives

ReputationRep:
    1) Delete people you're not actually friends with
    2) Make your profile private
    3) Enjoy Facebook.

I don't understand why people have privacy concerns... just set it up right, don't add people you're not really friends with and get on with it. For those saying they've deleted it because they prefer to call up/meet up with someone in real life as opposed to just on Facebook... what the **** is stopping you from doing that already?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.