Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just gotten the job. Training starts tomorrow for one week, by which time we'll all be thrown into the deep end.

Now, I know what the score is: I could either make quite a handsome amount of money by what really is quite an unskilled job, or I could pound the pavement for eight hours a day and make not a single brass penny.

I'm simply looking for the voice of experience here, as I'd like to counter the potential hogwash I've had spewed at me the last few days.

The sales figures are either £35/50 per sale, depending on the area. That essentially means two sales would provide me with more than the equivalent of a nine hour day working minimum wage. HOWEVER, what is the average number of sales per day for the guys working these jobs?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I used to run a team doing just this around 8 years ago. It honestly depends on the product and the person, but generally speaking, commission-only sales exists solely because the company isn't confident that each of its agents will pull in sufficient money to cover minimum wage, make a profit, cover their holidays, etc.

I assume it's also 'self-employed' so you lose many other benefits. Would I be right in thinking it's Cobra Group/Appco?

I had people who earned nothing all week, and others who might have earned £400-£500 one week, £100 the next. One chap was consistently doing £500 a week, but it turned out he was lying and fraudulently signing people up. The commission structure was similar to the one you mention, the average sales per day was about 1.2 per person, but most earned below what they would have taken home on minimum wage. No guaranteed earnings, and the suggested earnings they will have told you are probably far higher than is realistic for any given sales agent.

It might be worth trying for a little while, but assuming you also have to cover your own travel expenses (some companies do pay them) you may end up losing out. Or you might be very good at it, in which case it can be good money, but this is rare.

ReputationRep:
    What person in their right mind would work on a commission only rate?

ReputationRep:
    There's so many of these!! It's a scam having been to a interview a couple years back. I recently saw an advert for one of these where they want 5 people and only 1 will get through their training process lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.