Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How transphobic is the UK? Are you transphobic...? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Inspired to make this following a thread made by a girl who has found herself attracted to a trans-boy (that is, someone who was born with female bits but identifies as a guy/has had hormone and surgery therapy to physically be a guy).

I understand many non-trans people find the concept of wanting to change your gender bizarre. I used to. I've since met trans people at uni. I don't think anything of it now. I'll call them by the pronoun they want and I won't make a big deal about the fact they're trans. Maybe with more trans people being open about themselves ignorance and prejudice against trans people will fade more and more just as homophobia is...

I think it's also important people realise that a transsexual is not automatically a dolled-up man/drag queen/shemale. There are many trans people you could not possibly tell are trans.

Anyway. What do you think about transexuality? How transphobic, if at all, do you think the UK is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    personally i'm not transphobic, i'm very open-minded about sexuality, gender etc and personally i know alot of girls who prefer to dress as guys as they feel more comfortable but i'v never met a transsexual or transgender person.

i'm not sure about the rest of the country though. here in birmingham we have quite a strong LGBT community. however i guess alot of ethnic minority backgrounds don't agree, as i went to a very mixed cultural school with about 3 in 20 being white. homosexuality and trans was quite a controversial subject that people tended not to agree with and in my RE class a few people called it 'disgusting and unnatural'

that angered me so much omg

ReputationRep:
    why do we have to agree with what every delusional maniac says they are these days or get accused of some phobia or another?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    why do we have to agree with what every delusional maniac says they are these days or get accused of some phobia or another?
    The word transphobia refers to a prejudice, not a phobia in the psychological sense (although it isn't an entirely dissimilar phenomenon). It's a phenomenon which you've just illustrated for us.

ReputationRep:
    Never met a transgender person personally, I guess id be curious and possibly want to ask questions but i wouldn't be disgusted or prejudiced toward that person.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of transphobia comes from a lack of understanding, as with many prejudice-phobias. If people knew more about what it's like to be transgender, then I would like to think that there would be less transphobia. For a start, so few people understand the difference between sex and gender!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clonedmemories)
    I think a lot of transphobia comes from a lack of understanding, as with many prejudice-phobias. If people knew more about what it's like to be transgender, then I would like to think that there would be less transphobia. For a start, so few people understand the difference between sex and gender!
    Didn't sex and gender use to be synonymous? I thought the distinction was recent. Maybe you can enlighten me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    sex is to do with your biological classification and gender is a social construction of masculinity and femininity, i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eljamaispa)
    Didn't sex and gender use to be synonymous? I thought the distinction was recent. Maybe you can enlighten me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In many cases they are; I was only aware of the distinction myself relatively recently. But essentially, your sex is physical; you're either XX, so female or XY, so male. There are some other things to this, such as people who are intersex and those with XXX/XXY/XYY which I can't explain much further myself because I don't know the subtleties of it.

On the other hand, gender is what you identify as; boy or girl, man or woman. So a transgender person, would have a physical sex that does not match the gender they identify as. Personally, I like to make the distinction by referring to sex as male/female and gender as boy/girl, though they are interchangeable, of course! And then there are people whose gender is neither male nor female of which there are so many names and types that I can't keep track, but I'm sure you could find some stuff on it if you were interested!

I've probably just overcomplicated this much more than I should have, but that's how I understand it, anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eljamaispa)
    Anyway. What do you think about transexuality? How transphobic, if at all, do you think the UK is?
    My name is Farm_Ecology, and I'm a transphobic. And a homophobe, and probably a few other-a-phobes.

But, this is not so much a conscious dislike (though ill go into that later), but more of an unconscious disgust or repulsion. I have no argument against transvestites, and I believe that people should be entitled to do as they wish. I do however, feel somewhat uncomfortable around them if I'm aware, or become so when I find out. Of course, I try not to let it affect the way I treat them.

As a side note, one issue I do have a problem with, is the whole LGBT thing, in that I don't think transvestites should be necessarily grouped into the other three. They are different issues, with different scopes and I think (though I'm sure many disagree) they should be approached very differently. Particularly because while while homosexuality is simply to do with sexual attraction, transvestitism is far more complex. I can't help that feel that because GID more closely resembles a dysfunction, approaching it in the same way as homosexuality might be very destructive. In other words, if a person comes forward and states that they want to be another gender, placing their 'freedom to be whatever gender they wish' above actual mental issues might be seriously damaging.

Although, as a side note, I see no reason gender and sex shouldn't be mutable and transient. Outside of obvious physical limitations, I can think of no good reason someone should not be able to decide to be a women one day, a man the next, and neither the day after that.

ReputationRep:
    It baffles me that we have these conversations.

I just don't get why stuff like gender and sexuality matters, to the point of outrage, so much to people that are not affected by it.

In answer to the question, I'd never even thought of the term transphobic, let alone seen or heard it before this thread, so I guess not. The stupid thing with it is that until the point you verify someone's gender, you can't possibly discriminate against them. It's a reactionary thing. It's bizarre how a first impression and then rapport can be obliterated by a fact that affects only one of the people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    I can't help that feel that because GID more closely resembles a dysfunction, approaching it in the same way as homosexuality might be very destructive. In other words, if a person comes forward and states that they want to be another gender, placing their 'freedom to be whatever gender they wish' above actual mental issues might be seriously damaging.
    But would it not be right to suggest that the fact that GID is even a coined term is completely socially constructed and projecting society's needs for a set gender. Of course, this can be approached from a feminist view, with the idea that we must be separated to see who is superior and inferior by gender alone so we must force someone to decide by placing them under this pressure that results in social stigma and prejudice. But why should someone have to be seen as struggling with their "gender identity" when gender is simply an identity that is completely subjective and malleable? Should it even be an issue, why do we have to concern ourselves with gender?

Also why doesn't the english language have a gender neutral pronoun yet someone sort that **** out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottajmusgrove)
    But would it not be right to suggest that the fact that GID is even a coined term is completely socially constructed and projecting society's needs for a set gender.
    Well, granted there are two issues here. One is where the person is not content with their sex, the other with their gender roles, and in most cases the two overlap. In the latter case, it's a societal issue. In the former case however, it's a fundamental unhappiness with themselves and their body, which can only really be solved by either correcting their perception of themselves, or correct their body.

There is also the point that gender roles are not entirely socially constructed, but certainly are perpetuated. However, this is in part why I consider the issue of transgenderism to be far more complicated than homosexuality (which is pretty open and shut).

ReputationRep:
    The debates that start up in any of these threads pretty much give you your answer.

ReputationRep:
    I've got no prejudice against any of the trans community.

Though in honesty I doubt I'd date a Trans-person at this point in my life due to the social groups at my age etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    There's a phobia for everything nowadays it would seem.

Everyone is becoming a victim - it is all just becoming a bit of a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    I've got no prejudice against any of the trans community.

Though in honesty I doubt I'd date a Trans-person at this point in my life due to the social groups at my age etc.
    there are towns and neighbourhoods where only transexuals reside?

ReputationRep:
    I have never even heard of transphobia! Let alone be one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperatorXI)
    there are towns and neighbourhoods where only transexuals reside?
    Huh?

ReputationRep:
    i dont think its as easy to determine transphobia in the uk...
    not really as common occurrence as racial, homophobic, religious discrimination blahhh...
    hell i havent even met a gay guy and im 21...... i know a bi guy from uni though :pierre:

that said, id assume that any transphobia in the uk would probably be as much as any other typical civilised country...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.