Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "Applied psychology with Clinical psychology" and "Psychology with Clinical psychology"?

thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Applied psychology is more specific areas on everyday life such with less scientific focus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Applied psychology is more specific areas on everyday life such with less scientific focus.
    Thank you! which do you think would be ideal if I wanted to become a clinical psychologist?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by shybrowngirl)
    Thank you! which do you think would be ideal if I wanted to become a clinical psychologist?
    Straight psychology for sure. It's BPS accredited which is needed to go into clinical psychology (some applied courses aren't accredited) and more prestigious and advantageous when applying for clinical doctorate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Straight psychology for sure. It's BPS accredited which is needed to go into clinical psychology (some applied courses aren't accredited) and more prestigious and advantageous when applying for clinical doctorate.
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shybrowngirl)
    Like noodlzz said, make sure it's BPS acredited if you want a decent job in psychology.

My friend applied for psychology then realised the course she liked most wasn't accredited as it was psychology combined with biology so didn't include enough psychology to be accredited. So that wasn't any good for her so ended up firming a different course. But seeing as your combos are with two different kinds of psychology, both courses might be accredited.

ReputationRep:
    It really doesn't matter too much what the course is called as long as it is BPS accredited. Whatever you do, you will need to do a 3 year doctoral course which will qualify you to become a clinical psychologist.

Don't let the title sway you. In my experience, different universities will package their courses differently in order to appeal to applicants. As the BPS syllabus is usually very prescriptive about the content of psychology degrees, the differences in course names are usually superficial and are along the lines of an extra module here or there. Very few courses at undergraduate level will have heavy involvement from clinical psychologists, but you may get the odd module taught by one. For example, I have taught undergrads at my local university for a single lecture in their abnormal module, but that is the only exposure they get to practising clinical psychologist for their entire 3 year degree. You may want to pay more attention to your fit at the university, distance from family, cost and other factors before considering course title.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.