Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PREPAID CARDS - have you used any? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

So I am going to Canada for a little over 3 months. I'm not travelling around - I'll be in one place on a job, so am considering taking money with me.

However - I also see the benefits of prepaid mastercard/visa cards.
    I am looking at Caxton Fx, my Travel Cash, Kalixa, and Thomas Cook. Does anyone have experience with them?

I've done lots of reading and gone onto comparison sites, as well as read some articles and reviews. But all the reviews are very one-sided. They are written by people in that business, or by people who go for 2-week vacations, rather than 3-month vacations.

Any information would be very useful... Have any of you used any of these cards in Canada?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    I have used the post office travel money before but to be honest I found my current account offered practically the same rates and service.

The wording of the terms and conditions implies that using the post office card could in some circumstances be more expensive than using your normal debit card depending on what the vendor charges for transactions. Typically you get charged a fee per transaction and I've never had any unexpectedly large fees when using it though.

France, Spain and Netherlands are the only places I have used it though so I couldn't help you with info on Canada.

In my opinion the pre paid cards aren't any more useful than using your normal debit card.

ReputationRep:
    I used the ThomasCook one in malia it was alright

ReputationRep:
    I used Caxton FX this year and it's been wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    Caxton FX is working fine for me too. If it's just the overseas charges (as opposed to losing your card) that you're worried about, perhaps it's worth considering getting a Canadian card when you're there? Just because you'll be in one country a long time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farmgirl1990)
    Hi all,

So I am going to Canada for a little over 3 months. I'm not travelling around - I'll be in one place on a job, so am considering taking money with me.

However - I also see the benefits of prepaid mastercard/visa cards.
    I am looking at Caxton Fx, my Travel Cash, Kalixa, and Thomas Cook. Does anyone have experience with them?

I've done lots of reading and gone onto comparison sites, as well as read some articles and reviews. But all the reviews are very one-sided. They are written by people in that business, or by people who go for 2-week vacations, rather than 3-month vacations.

Any information would be very useful... Have any of you used any of these cards in Canada?

Thanks x
    Don't use a prepaid card get a Metrobank account, they offer free cash withdrawals abroad and no fees on purchases.

No other bank offers that. No fees, nothing. Just head into london and open an account, they give you a card there and then.

ReputationRep:
    Caxton fx is great. I have found that it saves me money and usually there are no cash withdrawal costs (never the fault of caxton-more to do with certain foreign banks). I have used it in Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France, Greece and China. In Greece my card was cloned and all my money taken. I rang up caxton fx in a panic, and they refunded all the money I had lost in a couple of days without asking for any bureaucracy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.