Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm buying an iPad mini next week and just wondering if they are definitely worth it?

Everytime I'm around the house lugging the laptop round becomes a pain and I've said on countless times like when in bed etc. ah I wish I could just use the iPad.

I'm planning to use it for travelling and university lectures too, so I'm really looking forward to using it.

So, who's got one, opinions?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have an Ipad, so I'm looking to buy one soon as well. I feel that the mini is good if you are more of a heavy reader, as it's lighter and less straining on your wrist to hold up whilst you read. The full-size Ipad, in my opinion, would be more suited for travelling (watch films, light reading etc.) and for lectures. But then again, the mini could serve the same purposes, so it depends if you are happy to sacrifice 2 inches of screen size and have marginally reduced specs.

ReputationRep:
    I bought an iPad Mini late last year (to replace my old first generation iPad) and I love it - it's pretty much got 95% of the functionality of a full-sized iPad but is noticeably smaller and lighter, which I think actually makes it better for using when travelling than my old iPad. I've got a cellular iPad Mini, BTW, and the 3G connection on it can be an absolute godsend when I'm in places where there isn't any WiFi hotspot or whatever WiFi hotspot that exists is unreliable. :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    I have one and absolutely love it. It's small enough to hold in one hand and does everything that a full size iPad does. There's a hugely noticeable difference in weight and it just feels a lot nicer to hold and use. So I wouldn't say it was a novelty at all. I've found that it's really handy for revision too, because you can just quickly thumb type something into google and hold it in one hand whilst you take notes. It's far less distracting that a laptop or full size iPad. I'd highly recommend it.

When they first came out they were insanely hard to get hold of. I had to get the train up to London 3 times and go to several different Apple stores to get hold of one, it was ridiculous. I think that just proves what a great product they are, Apple couldn't physically produce enough products to meet the demand.

ReputationRep:
    Nexus 7 > iPad Mini..... Jus saying...

ReputationRep:
    I've got myself an iPad mini and I'm never off it. Definitely worth it if you have the money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad_moose)
    I have one and absolutely love it. It's small enough to hold in one hand and does everything that a full size iPad does. There's a hugely noticeable difference in weight and it just feels a lot nicer to hold and use. So I wouldn't say it was a novelty at all. I've found that it's really handy for revision too, because you can just quickly thumb type something into google and hold it in one hand whilst you take notes. It's far less distracting that a laptop or full size iPad. I'd highly recommend it.

When they first came out they were insanely hard to get hold of. I had to get the train up to London 3 times and go to several different Apple stores to get hold of one, it was ridiculous. I think that just proves what a great product they are, Apple couldn't physically produce enough products to meet the demand.
    Do Apple shops do that engraving thing on the ipad mini? I'd want to personalise it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    Do Apple shops do that engraving thing on the ipad mini? I'd want to personalise it!
    They do indeed, I think they do it for all products. Not sure about pricing or how long it takes though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad_moose)
    They do indeed, I think they do it for all products. Not sure about pricing or how long it takes though.
    Oooooh good.....I really want the black one for uni. Not sure whether to buy one now, or wait a few months and see what the next upgrade is like.

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh good.....I really want the black one for uni. Not sure whether to buy one now, or wait a few months and see what the next upgrade is like.
    The black ones are so nice, much nicer than the silver coloured normal iPads I'm not really sure what the next version is going to be like, you'll have to do a Google search and see what the Apple fan boys/girls are saying. Hopefully it'll have a retina display though! I don't reckon there'll be a huge difference though.

ReputationRep:
    My iPad Mini is black - feel free to ask any questions about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    My iPad Mini is black - feel free to ask any questions about it.
    Ooooh okay then :p:

1. Does it stream BBC programmes live? (obviously you have to be using wifi and have a tv licence etc).
    2. Does it scratch easily, making the black colour peel off the back?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh okay then :p:

1. Does it stream BBC programmes live? (obviously you have to be using wifi and have a tv licence etc).
    Yes, I can do that using either the BBC iPlayer app or another app called TVCatchup.

2. Does it scratch easily, making the black colour peel off the back?

Thanks!
    I was actually aware of reports that the black iPad Mini scratched relatively easily - like the black iPhone 5 - before I even bought it, so in preparation, I bought a case that covers most of the back and sides of the Mini and so largely protects it from being scratched. Really, then, I can't judge from personal experience whether it really does scratch easily. I did notice that a demonstration black iPad Mini in the official Apple store in Newcastle had lots of scratches on it, but that was a Mini that had no protective case and would have been picked up and used several times a day by all sorts of people. If you're concerned about the possibility of a black iPad Mini you buy scratching easily, then you should do what I've done and buy a protective case for it. There are transparent gel cases for the Mini available that would allow you to protect the Mini without hiding much of its appearance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    Yes, I can do that using either the BBC iPlayer app or another app called TVCatchup.

I was actually aware of reports that the black iPad Mini scratched relatively easily - like the black iPhone 5 - before I even bought it, so in preparation, I bought a case that covers most of the back and sides of the Mini and so largely protects it from being scratched. Really, then, I can't judge from personal experience whether it really does scratch easily. I did notice that a demonstration black iPad Mini in the official Apple store in Newcastle had lots of scratches on it, but that was a Mini that had no protective case and would have been picked up and used several times a day by all sorts of people. If you're concerned about the possibility of a black iPad Mini you buy scratching easily, then you should do what I've done and buy a protective case for it. There are transparent gel cases for the Mini available that would allow you to protect the Mini without hiding much of its appearance.
    Thanks so much for the info- I'm deffo getting one in the next couple of months! I'll rep you tomorrow because it won't let me do any more tonight!

ReputationRep:
    My friend has an iPad Mini and when I used it I liked it very much, especially as I could actually use the keyboard properly.

The only downside to it however is that the most basic iPad Mini (16GB Wi-fi) is £269, which is quite a lot and a bit too much for me, whilst something like the Google Nexus 7 with the same specs is £159. So it depends on how much you like iOS over Android (Android has definitely improved since the last time I used it), and how much you're willing to pay.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for the info- I'm deffo getting one in the next couple of months! I'll rep you tomorrow because it won't let me do any more tonight!
    Thanks. :cute:

ReputationRep:
    I have a black one, bought in December (Christmas pressy! ) and have not put it down since! Its so nice and light and a perfect fit for holding in one hand! It is my first iPad and although some apps are not universal (Whereby I can install on my iPhone and the exact same app is optimised for the iPad) theres still so many fantastic apps that make use of the screen size!! Absolutely worth their money! I have got a couple of scratches on the diamond cut edge but thats about it. I have got a case and a smart cover (Not official one but a great cheap alternative one) and they are also fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mat.butler)
    Not for me it wasn't.

Anyhow I love my ipad mini. I take it out with me all the time. I use it for reading, browsing the web, watching videos, document editing, taking notes, gaming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mind the Nexus 7 when I tried a demonstration unit in a shop, but I definitely prefer the bigger screen of the iPad Mini - in my experience, it's definitely better to type a lot on. Also, I just love how effective and reliable Apple products generally are, though for all I know, a Nexus 7 could be just as effective and reliable, if not more so.

ReputationRep:
    I think my issue with the mini is its name. It feels really feminine.

Maybe they just want to standardise their phone and tablet rather than buying the same thing twice because one runs android and the other iOS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.