Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any way that I can get into Dentistry without Biology A-level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently sitting my final GCSE exams, and I will be starting A-levels in September.

I have chosen to study Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Geography at A-level in the hopes to be able to study Dentistry at university.

The sixth form I have chosen to go to only accepts these subjects at A-level if an A at GCSE has been achieved. I'm doubtful that I will be able to get an A in Biology, and it's worried me so much because that's one of the main uni requirements to study Dentistry. I have already begun work experience and have more planned ahead for Dentistry. I have read that some universities accept Biology at AS level (if not done at A-level), but I'm not sure the sixth form I've applied to will allow this.

I literally have no clue what to go on to do now.

TL;DR: I'm determined to be able to do Dentistry, but I doubt that I'll have Biology. Is there any way that it's possible? Or are there really similar alternatives (in terms of salary, and job description)?

ReputationRep:
    Get a Chemistry A level. They care about that more, believe it or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dentoptacy)
    I am currently sitting my final GCSE exams, and I will be starting A-levels in September.

I have chosen to study Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Geography at A-level in the hopes to be able to study Dentistry at university.

The sixth form I have chosen to go to only accepts these subjects at A-level if an A at GCSE has been achieved. I'm doubtful that I will be able to get an A in Biology, and it's worried me so much because that's one of the main uni requirements to study Dentistry. I have already begun work experience and have more planned ahead for Dentistry. I have read that some universities accept Biology at AS level (if not done at A-level), but I'm not sure the sixth form I've applied to will allow this.

For Biology, my exam board is AQA (triple science) which assesses in 4 parts:
    B1 - I got an A
    B2 - I got a B (and I'm sure my retake wasn't any better)
    B3 - Results in summer...
    ISA - B (although the grade boundaries are supposed to increase, and they should go a grade up)
    Each of these modules are 25% and altogether produce a final grade.

I literally have no clue what to go on to do now. I have considered Optometry and Pharmacy as back-up careers, but I really don't want to do these because I'm not as passionate about them.

TL;DR: I'm determined to be able to do Dentistry, but I doubt that I'll have Biology. Is there any way that it's possible? Or are there really similar alternatives (in terms of salary, and job description)?
    Well, that is unusual. My sixth form (grammar school) only wanted a B in Biology, and every other college I looked at had the same entry requirements. Even if you get a B, ask your parents to complain to the sixth form and I'm sure they'll let you take it . One of my friends got a B in maths, and our sixth form wants an A, so he got his parents to complain and they let him take it. He's on an A now.

Even if this doesn't work, perhaps you should consider a different college/sixth form?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But literally all of the universities require Biology at A-level...http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...y_Requirements

ReputationRep:
    Yeah mine's also a grammar school...I might actually try this - I'm a pretty decent A/A* student otherwise, maybe they'll let me do the same too and it's too late to apply to any other sixth forms close to me...but thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.