Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Microsoft have announced that they will be offering a free upgrade of Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 or otherwise known as Windows Blue. I'm just wondering what people would like to see different on the new interface?

I received my new DSA laptop last week, and it came with Windows 8. The company who supplied me with the laptop, did some tweaks to the system. The two major tweaks they did, was when I booted up the laptop, it would boot up straight onto my Desktop, not the start page. The second tweak they did, was to put in a start button on the desktop interface.

I personally like Windows 8. The computer is running pretty quickly, and I quite like how the live tiles keep me up to date with my E-Mail accounts, social networking accounts, train times etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Microsoft have announced that they will be offering a free upgrade of Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 or otherwise known as Windows Blue. I'm just wondering what people would like to see different on the new interface?

I received my new DSA laptop last week, and it came with Windows 8. The company who supplied me with the laptop, did some tweaks to the system. The two major tweaks they did, was when I booted up the laptop, it would boot up straight onto my Desktop, not the start page. The second tweak they did, was to put in a start button on the desktop interface.

I personally like Windows 8. The computer is running pretty quickly, and I quite like how the live tiles keep me up to date with my E-Mail accounts, social networking accounts, train times etc.
    I'd like there to be an option to remove all windows 8 'apps' like mail, calender, reader etc that takes users away from the desktop.

ReputationRep:
    Actual integration between the desktop and the metro screen. It's too much of a mess and doesn't work well. You can have two of the same app open on both metro/standard desktop displaying totally different things. What's the point of that....

If metro was built in to the desktop it'd be a lot better and less clunky.

Also make it more user intuitive by having actual buttons you can see on the start bar rather than hidden on the side and only accessed via a mouse over.

The only reason you like windows 8 is because of the tweaks. It's not a bad OS tbh. Just the way the UI is done and integrated is terrible. Windows 8 is actually a lot faster and more optimised than 7. But 8 is suited for tablets, especially the RT edition. Not for laptops or desktops at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Actual integration between the desktop and the metro screen. It's too much of a mess and doesn't work well. You can have two of the same app open on both metro/standard desktop displaying totally different things. What's the point of that....

If metro was built in to the desktop it'd be a lot better and less clunky.

Also make it more user intuitive by having actual buttons you can see on the start bar rather than hidden on the side and only accessed via a mouse over.

The only reason you like windows 8 is because of the tweaks. It's not a bad OS tbh. Just the way the UI is done and integrated is terrible. Windows 8 is actually a lot faster and more optimised than 7. But 8 is suited for tablets, especially the RT edition. Not for laptops or desktops at all.
    Spot on. I should have mentioned before, that without my tweaks, I would not be as impressed with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Spot on. I should have mentioned before, that without my tweaks, I would not be as impressed with it.
    Another point is that the whole concept of "Windows" has gone out of the window............ with the metro interface.

You can't resize apps or have more than 2 metro apps showing on the screen at one time. I do understand that is the whole point but it doesn't work well on a desktop/laptop. Esp when you want to multi task. Want to run photoshop and check the weather/mail via a metro app.... nope, can't do that.

Also the whole mouse gestures thing on a desktop is stupid. Esp when scrolling or trying to access your apps.

ReputationRep:
    What would i like to see? Windows 7 interface with the windows 8 kernel.

ReputationRep:
    I love Windows 8. I got it running on a laptop designed for Vista and to be honest, its so smooth and (In power terms) light. My laptop runs a lot cooler than when I had Vista. I love the tiles! I really could not give two hoots about the start menu. Took a while to get used to it not being there, but got used to it now! Would love to be able to (Officially) change the start screen background. But theres not really much I've noticed that needs changing.

ReputationRep:
    I just want a start menu that isn't fullscreen, the fullscreen modern UI shrunk down to half size over the deskop would be perfect. I don't really care about a start button, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if it's there or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.