Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I signed on today at the request of my parents. Before anyone has a rant I will be upfront: yes, I have been privileged enough to have my uni paid for me (studied in a country where my 4 years was about equal to one year in the UK so that helped) and I live at home now where I don't have to pay rent and parents don't expect me to pay for groceries etc. So yes, privileged, but they wanted me to sign on (I wasn't particularly keen but whatever).

Anyway, there is something I find really weird. I understand the point they make: you want a job, any job. Fine, okay. But they know that I am a graduate applying for grad schemes yet they won't accept that as part of the 'looking for a job' thing on the contract. Okay, fine. So instead, I have been told that I need to look for work as a cashier, waiter or retail assistant. These jobs are alright and honestly I wouldn't mind em if I had to while waiting for something else. But what frustrates me is that I have to spend most of my time now applying for these dead-end jobs instead of jobs in a career. And then possibly get a 9-5 job 5-6 days a week which will leave me hardly any time for applying for grad schemes or going to interviews etc. Yeah yeah inb4 get off high horse. Cool story bro. I just don't understand the point of signing on a graduate to a dead end career and forcing them to look for any job except the job that they are suited for? My degree isn't vocational, but it's like telling someone with a qualification in dentistry that you won't accept any dentistry applications as part of the contract and instead you will need to spend all your time looking for jobs in garbage disposal and shelf stacking. How on earth can a graduate apply himself in this way? Yes I know, I know, any job is a job, and the dole is the dole, but it seems backwards to call it a job-seekers allowance and career advising. It's not. It's just putting people into any old job to get them off the system that's meant to support them while they look for a career. And more careers ultimately means a better economy. I told this lady doing my application I would be looking at milkround, guardian jobs, prospects etc and she was like "Yeah but we need something else" as if searching for jobs and a career isn't part of job seeking? Nope, instead I gotta look for cashier work and put all else to the side so that in five years time I can be promoted to head cashier in Tesco's. Woo. Hoo.

Also, on a bit of a more whiney note, the lady doing my application couldn't spell, didn't understand that I had no car and was borrowing one (still put me down as 'has own transport') and was otherwise quite rude. Ed of rant!

Come at me bro.

ReputationRep:
    Apply to what you want and tell them what they want to hear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPB)
    So I signed on today at the request of my parents. Before anyone has a rant I will be upfront: yes, I have been privileged enough to have my uni paid for me (studied in a country where my 4 years was about equal to one year in the UK so that helped) and I live at home now where I don't have to pay rent and parents don't expect me to pay for groceries etc. So yes, privileged, but they wanted me to sign on (I wasn't particularly keen but whatever).

Anyway, there is something I find really weird. I understand the point they make: you want a job, any job. Fine, okay. But they know that I am a graduate applying for grad schemes yet they won't accept that as part of the 'looking for a job' thing on the contract. Okay, fine. So instead, I have been told that I need to look for work as a cashier, waiter or retail assistant. These jobs are alright and honestly I wouldn't mind em if I had to while waiting for something else. But what frustrates me is that I have to spend most of my time now applying for these dead-end jobs instead of jobs in a career. And then possibly get a 9-5 job 5-6 days a week which will leave me hardly any time for applying for grad schemes or going to interviews etc. Yeah yeah inb4 get off high horse. Cool story bro. I just don't understand the point of signing on a graduate to a dead end career and forcing them to look for any job except the job that they are suited for? My degree isn't vocational, but it's like telling someone with a qualification in dentistry that you won't accept any dentistry applications as part of the contract and instead you will need to spend all your time looking for jobs in garbage disposal and shelf stacking. How on earth can a graduate apply himself in this way? Yes I know, I know, any job is a job, and the dole is the dole, but it seems backwards to call it a job-seekers allowance and career advising. It's not. It's just putting people into any old job to get them off the system that's meant to support them while they look for a career. And more careers ultimately means a better economy. I told this lady doing my application I would be looking at milkround, guardian jobs, prospects etc and she was like "Yeah but we need something else" as if searching for jobs and a career isn't part of job seeking? Nope, instead I gotta look for cashier work and put all else to the side so that in five years time I can be promoted to head cashier in Tesco's. Woo. Hoo.

Also, on a bit of a more whiney note, the lady doing my application couldn't spell, didn't understand that I had no car and was borrowing one (still put me down as 'has own transport') and was otherwise quite rude. Ed of rant!

Come at me bro.
    Do you even lift?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just apply for jobs that you know you have low chances of getting and continue applying for graduate ones.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry people actually listen to the job centre?

ReputationRep:
    Because you're living at the expense of the taxpayer, the fact that you have a degree makes no difference to that. There are going to be a lot more 'dead-end' jobs around than graduate jobs in the area you want to work in. The idea is to stop you being a drain on society as quickly as possible. When you're no longer leeching from the State you can have all the choice you want in applying to jobs, until then stop being such a whining little child.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just tell them you want to be a premiership footballer and you will only apply for those jobs?

Ok, that is extreme but the fact is, you are telling them that because you are a graduate - you want to only apply to the top jobs of which there are far fewer than graduates. They are telling you that you have to apply for things that you have a more realistic chance of success with too. Graduate recruitment can take a long time and if you get another job you don't want as much - you can still apply to get into the career you want but at your expense.

People in work are often trying to get something better - they don't quit their jobs to look for stuff - they just do it in their spare time.

TLDR: Half the country are now getting university degrees and there are a lot less graduate scheme jobs then that. A good amount of people who get on these things manage to line it up before they graduate. Why should the government pay to let wait and see if you will be one of the few who starts off in a top job on top pay? Be prepared to work your way up and search for the career you want at your own time and expense.

ReputationRep:
    The job center have targets to meet. Your personal advisor is there to 'help' you find a job, any job in fact and get you off benefits ASAP. She was right that applying just for graduate schemes would not be enough, its not enough. You need to apply for almost EVERYTHING... or just lie.

You will have time to apply for ''dead-end'' jobs and Graduate schemes with plently of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPB)
    How on earth can a graduate apply himself in this way? Yes I know, I know, any job is a job, and the dole is the dole, but it seems backwards to call it a job-seekers allowance and career advising. It's not.
    We are young, naive and often foolish. A degree does not guarantee you **** all. It's actually very sound career advice - get any job you won't kill yourself doing, then find something else in the mean time. Worked for countless other grads.

ReputationRep:
    You don't stop applying for graduate schemes. You just apply for the other jobs too. Taking a job that in itself is dead end isn't actually so bad. Applying for higher level jobs from a position of being employed gives you an advantage over those who are unemployed. IME many HR departments automatically reject applications from people who are unemployed especially these days when they receiving hundreds of applications per job.

I have a degree and years of higher level experience but when I was made redundant I didn't restrict myself to jobs in my field although that's what I looked at first each morning. I applied for jobs cleaning toilets, shop assistant, data entry, etc, basically every job I was capable of doing. I did it as it was the right thing to do. I wasn't claiming JSA so I didn't have to satisfy the Job Centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPB)

Come at me bro.
    Beggars can't be choosers.

You can't take handouts and say "yeah, yeah, I will get a job, but when one relevant to me and one that I want comes along". They are saying "we will give you this money on the condition you take the first job that comes along, so we can stop paying you as soon as possible."

Plus your arguement about not having time falls apart, I applied for grad schemes in my final year of uni while working 25 hour part time and spending over 40 hours a week in uni.

ReputationRep:
    After reading all of these comments, I am soooooooooooooooooo glad I am not living in GB

ReputationRep:
    There are thousands of grads so im sorry but what you have isnt special nowadays, I dont like how unis sell people lies that they will get a mega good job straight away. The real working world isnt like that.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem when I was on JSA. I was on it 3 years ago though, and I hear it's stricter now so that's even worse. I don't know what the hell they tell their employees behind the scenes, but the jobseeker advisers really are NOT making it any easier to find jobs. In fact they make it harder.

I found that the jobseeker website is very narrow in terms of the jobs that are on offer and looking outside of it you can find a much wider range of jobs you can do.

They made it difficult for me to do volunteering work because while volunteering I still had to sign on and attend interviews at my normal hours, which coincided with my volunteering hours, so in order to keep my JSA I had to stop doing volunteer work because one paid while the other didn't.

When I finally got a job, they made it incredibly difficult for me to keep it because it was a job based purely on commission and I didn't always make what I needed to make to survive, but I couldn't make up for it with jobseekers because I was working full time, and I wasn't eligible for some other type of benefit (forgot what it was called. Working tax benefits?) because I was under (21 or 25? I don't remember. Anyway I was independent and didn't have family to help me, so I don't see why the age would have mattered).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.