Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cannabis warning? watch

Announcements

Hi, I just wanted to know about if I have a formal cannabis warning or if I was given a telling off by a police officer:

A police officer found a roach on the floor near where I was sitting in a park, and started questioning my friends and myself. We said we had smoked weed (they smelt it), but did not admit to the roach being ours. I was then searched and the police found no drugs on me. I was told by the officer that he "was dealing with it here", and that I was getting a "warning".

I did not sign anything and no paperwork was given to me. I now want to know if I was given a cannabis warning (the type for which being caught with cannabis again would lead to a Penalty notice, information held on LOCAL police computer), or if it was a telling off. The ambiguity arises from both the fact that no drugs were found on me or in an area I was responsible for (a roach on the floor near you in a park is definitely not possession), and that I signed nothing, so there is no formal admission of guilt.

If anybody could please cast some light on this I would be grateful. Thanks!

PS in health forum because smoking anything is obviously unhealthy, and this allows me to post anonymously (for obvious reasons).

ReputationRep:
    That's a warning; it doesn't show up on any checks. I had a similar situation years ago with trespassing whilst freerunning. A real warning (i.e. not verbal) is a caution, and they'll take your name and address.

ReputationRep:
    Just a verbal warning, not a formal caution.

Thank you for your replies.

They did take my name and DoB, but when I asked the officer if it would show up on a CRB he said no. So I know it wasn't a formal caution (which if you sign is basically convicting yourself), and I'm tempted to think it was so he could fill in a sanction detection in his notebook and get himself some points with his boss.

I also think you needed to be given a "Cannabis Warning Form" (C229 form?) for a Cannabis warning. Could anybody please clarify this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for your replies.

They did take my name and DoB, but when I asked the officer if it would show up on a CRB he said no. So I know it wasn't a formal caution (which if you sign is basically convicting yourself), and I'm tempted to think it was so he could fill in a sanction detection in his notebook and get himself some points with his boss.

I also think you needed to be given a "Cannabis Warning Form" (C229 form?) for a Cannabis warning. Could anybody please clarify this?
    Well it's probably more to do with it being his job, and with cannabis being illegal to possess or smoke. It just so happens to be the case that there's no real benefit from prosecuting someone over one-off usages; you'd need a repeat history.

Can't help you on the form thing...

ReputationRep:
    I know a friend who intentionally went up to a police officer and lit a spliff in his face, he still only got a verbal warming, dont ask me how.

ReputationRep:
    The officer incharge of "teenagers and young people" in the couple of villages around where I live said that he wants cannabis to be legalised. So we are pretty good, however I'm pretty sure the warning you got wasn't even the official caution, I know a few people who were given the official caution and had to sign an official form.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.