Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Who are we unable to communicate in the original language and forbidden to learn about Slovak history?
    Hello everyone! I'm Slovak living in Nograd County of Hungary. Our ancestors lived here since 17th century. But now because of Magyarization policy there are too few Slovaks remembering their roots and language are left. The majority of young Slovaks call 'New Hugarians' themselves and trample remnants of Slovakian culture. In fact we've survived after huge ethnic cleansing here. Nowadays if you are Catholic and speak Slovakian a little you aren't able to find a job in Hungary. I'm Certified Clinical Research Associate. But I consider Slovak myself and it is written in the statement of the nationality in my passport. By recent Hungarian labour legislation I've become a second-rate man because of my nationality and I can't get job of sciencemanship. You see that is new 'fight with crisis'. But it is very hard to live on street cleaner's fee. Also it is too humiliating. And my wife and I are thinking to abandon the land of our ancestors and to migrate in Slovakia.
    Imho with this law Hungarian authorities upend great genocide of Slovaks had been committing from the middle of 18th century till nowadays. Really: No Slovaks on Slovakian original lands within Hungary – no problems.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.