Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    From people at the university now, I was hoping for an estimate of how popular the course is, for example, how often people are able to swap onto the course.
    I'm hoping to change onto the course when I start in September as I was offered an alternative (this wasn't because there were no places, it was because I called in concern and I was offered Media Studies and Entertainment Technology and assured myself that I was going). I'm pretty much going to be pushing for the course, hoping that they will just get annoyed with me and hopefully get me a place, after all, I have nothing to lose. Though I know that's not how it goes, in my experience, it's worked a few of times, both in secondary school and college.

And how would I go about swapping? When would be the right time, who do I go to etc. Anything you think I should know before I go about it.

Any advice and insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to Portsmouth! The place is horrible, there are plebs everywhere and crime is extremely high. I wouldn't worry about changing courses because they will literally accept anybody who can walk , so you should be fine there. Your degree is a non subject (no offence), so it may be in your interest to apply to a proper course or an apprenticeship or something. Hope this helps. Also there is a fishy odour, probably as a result of skates in the docks. This cannot be avoided and makes it hard to sleep in all of the halls.

ReputationRep:
    Um, ok. That was mostly pointless, I'm already accepted in Portsmouth, I love Portsmouth, I've been there and never smelt a high stench of fish that has affected my overnight stays and I have friends that are there that aren't stupid enough to go to high crime areas during certain times of the day. My degree is a non subject? It's my career path. I know what I'm doing. A friend of mine studied there on a course similar to mine, he worked with me at a shop for a while but he's now got a fantastic editing job after graduating. And there are plebs everywhere you go really, this is England, anywhere I've been there are plebs. Everywhere I go there are normal people too. And posh people. Chavs, goths, non labeled, tame people, wild people, sane, insane, introvert, extrovert. Portsmouth, to me, is no different.
    Whilst I know you were trying to be helpful, you weren't. I appreciate the intent you had, but it had the opposite affect. You based it on your own opinions assuming I had not been there and I have. I love the city. I can't wait to start studying there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Oracle95)
    Don't go to Portsmouth! The place is horrible, there are plebs everywhere and crime is extremely high. I wouldn't worry about changing courses because they will literally accept anybody who can walk , so you should be fine there. Your degree is a non subject (no offence), so it may be in your interest to apply to a proper course or an apprenticeship or something. Hope this helps. Also there is a fishy odour, probably as a result of skates in the docks. This cannot be avoided and makes it hard to sleep in all of the halls.
    Currently in first year.

Crime is standard. A lot lower than where I used to live (South London) and there is no fish smell.

Avoid fratton and somerstown and its not bad. Havent really had any trouble here and if I have its been with other (drunk) uni students. Not locals.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.