Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At risk of annoying people with another EU referendumrelated thread, does anybody know or have ideas who would be allowed to vote init?
    Is it likely that it will be people aged 18 years and olderwho can vote or 16 or 17?
    Would EU nationals living in the UK be allowed to vote?
    E.g. a French man who moved to work here 2 years ago, wouldhe be allowed to vote?
    If people have no idea please say, as I am curious to knowwhat people think will happen regarding this.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    They would probably use the regular electoral register - so 18+, UK national (+ other related nationals) etc.

EU citizens would not get the vote.

ReputationRep:
    My guess would be the same people who can vote in general elections.

ReputationRep:
    We've managed to wrangle it so 16 year olds get the vote. Expect the politicisation of our youth in that case on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    We've managed to wrangle it so 16 year olds get the vote. Expect the politicisation of our youth in that case on it.
    That's just the Scottish independence referendum so that Alex Salmond can milk votes from uninformed, emotionally nationalistic children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    That's just the Scottish independence referendum so that Alex Salmond can milk votes from uninformed, emotionally nationalistic children.
    That was the point I was trying to make in a more subtle manner.

ReputationRep:
    And I'm sure some Eurosceptics will attempt the same thing if there is an EU referendum.

ReputationRep:
    I've always presumed the youth to lean left more than to the right? Nationalism is hardly a left wing principle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    I've always presumed the youth to lean left more than to the right? Nationalism is hardly a left wing principle.
    You're assuming all Eurosceptics are nationalists - there's a decent amount of Euroscepticism on the left.

Would be quite amusing to see ultra-conservatives like Peter Bone and Jacob Rees-Mogg sharing platforms with lefties like Dennis Skinner and Bob Crow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    I think a lot of them don't think on a cohesive platform of what's 'right' and what's 'left', but what works from their point of view - hence there are plenty of traditional Labour voters who are eurosceptic and anti-immigrant, but want a strong welfare state.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be interested to see whether British expats living in EU member states are given a vote.

It's something like 1.7m, which is a fairly substantial bloc. I'd imagine they would tend towards the status quo, simply because I can’t imagine many pensioners in France or Spain would want to risk a potential indefinite repatriation before an alternative to Schengen is negotiated.

Given close margins on voting intention at the moment, it could be British citizens living in EU member states who determine that we stay in the EU. That would be bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    The same people that voted in the AV referendum.

ReputationRep:
    I know there are a lot of Scottish living outside of Scotland, but if they have chosen to leave residency there, then should they lose the right to choose Scotland's future? most certainly.

It makes sense that people who want to be part of Scotland would truly have stayed (unless you chose to study elsewhere) and not leave. I have read where there are a lot of people so against the idea of independence they will leave Scotland and take their companies with them. Is that patriotic? Being so against the will of the people (if scotland becomes independent) you will leave your home? This is ugly and the last thing an independent country needs, especially Scotland with all her potential and strong-willed Scots.

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2013/03...n-re-debunked/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WATKINS94)
    I know there are a lot of Scottish living outside of Scotland, but if they have chosen to leave residency there, then should they lose the right to choose Scotland's future? most certainly.

It makes sense that people who want to be part of Scotland would truly have stayed (unless you chose to study elsewhere) and not leave. I have read where there are a lot of people so against the idea of independence they will leave Scotland and take their companies with them. Is that patriotic? Being so against the will of the people (if scotland becomes independent) you will leave your home? This is ugly and the last thing an independent country needs, especially Scotland with all her potential and strong-willed Scots.

I don't know, I met a Scottish national living in the South of France and he was pretty sure that he would have a vote if a referendum came about. The whole thing is ridiculous though, essentially the Scottish independent movement is based on a ludicrious and false perception of Scotland's economic designs after leaving the UK.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Polling apparently indicates more support for the EU the younger you get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WATKINS94)

Stop trolling every single thread with your incredibly simplistic and inarticulate rants about Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OedipusTheKing)
    I don't know, I met a Scottish national living in the South of France and he was pretty sure that he would have a vote if a referendum came about. The whole thing is ridiculous though, essentially the Scottish independent movement is based on a ludicrious and false perception of Scotland's economic designs after leaving the UK.
    I don't see why he would get a vote. There is no such thing as a "Scottish national" in a legal sense. They're British nationals, same as anyone else from the UK. For Scots living abroad (or elsewhere in the UK) to have a vote, you'd have to invent a new legal definition for it. Much easier to make the referendum apply to British citizens living in Scotland, rather than coming up with a new legal definition of a Scottish person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I don't see why he would get a vote. There is no such thing as a "Scottish national" in a legal sense. They're British nationals, same as anyone else from the UK. For Scots living abroad (or elsewhere in the UK) to have a vote, you'd have to invent a new legal definition for it. Much easier to make the referendum apply to British citizens living in Scotland, rather than coming up with a new legal definition of a Scottish person.
    I wouldn't put it past Salmond

ReputationRep:
    Wrong thread guys.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.