Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does lifting weights make a girl unattractive? Watch

I "lift" seriously most days of the week as I play quite a few sports, and though I don't exactly have a "bulky" figure or look overweight I'm not stick thin either though I have a nice figure (I'm petite so kind of like Kylie Minogue's or Cheryl Cole's). A lot of girls (and most of the guys I know too) are really surprised when I tell them I do that, as the most they do are toning exercises with really light dumbbells, but I've tried those and I don't feel like I've gained much from that.

I've had people ask if I was lesbian for lifting weights (not that there's anything wrong with that but you know what I mean ) and the only people who really seem to get why a girl would lift weights are other guys and girls who take sport very seriously. Having said that, every time I walk into my uni gym's weights room (which I've never see another girl in) I keep on getting intimidating stares from all the guys in there, and I don't have anyone else to go with either because my female friends mostly stick to the cardio machines.

Guys, would you be put off if a girl told you she lifted weights? Girls, do you think it makes someone more unfeminine?

ReputationRep:
    Actually its a turn on

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    More girls should lift weights in my opinion, as it's far more effective for gaining a good physique than just doing repetitive cardio.

And no it's not a turn off at all.

ReputationRep:
    I like a girl who could beat me up.

ReputationRep:
    I would argue it is attractive if girls lift

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    that depends do you look like jodie marsh? Or one of those woman who are all viens and no breasts? Cos thats just ugly.

If not - no it wouldnt put me off

ReputationRep:
    Nope, the fact she did weight training is neither here nor there so long as her physique remains suitably feminine for my tastes :beard:

Also, I'd much prefer that to the complete opposite - not keen on girls who prefer to slob about/not make a bit of an effort with their appearance

ReputationRep:
    Girls won't look particularly or bulky unless they inject testosterone or other anabolic steroids so the whole 'girls lifting will make you big thing' is just a myth.

Lifting gets the best physique attainable for a female.

ReputationRep:
    Within reason. There's a difference between lifting and being a bodybuilder or even ripped.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it does as I have personally had many compliments from guys that know I lift. But I guess you will always have some people who think its unattractive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They might think you look butch when your sweating it in the gym, but wait until the weekend when you've got your glad rags on.... everyone will know you squat

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it kind of does. No man want's a girl who can bench-press more than he can.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you still look human-ish, don't see the problem.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a straight girl and i think it's hot, i don't do weights yet cos i'm on a plan just to just tone my core muscles but it's something i'd like to do later, i'm just not sure cos i have really strong thick legs and thighs and i don't want them to get any bigger. You shouldn't stop doing it, i've heard some of my male friends who get turned on by strong girls

ReputationRep:
    I lift weights too and I think it's hot. We could lift together

ReputationRep:
    Also already on the first page people are saying as long as they don't look inhuman or as long as they're not too big. You people do understand that girls do not have the testosterone in their bodies to get really muscular? The big bodybuilder women you see on TV etc are taking steroids. Girls can get strong but not big.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely a good thing.

The only people, I imagine, that would be put off by it are people who are misguided and believe that women have enough testosterone and eat enough to get huge. Men struggle enough as is, with a pair of testicles; a woman would have to be legitimately taking roids and eating a lot (for a woman) to even get remotely huge.

Also, it gives women a good derrière. It's somewhat disappointing when I have a rounder, larger arse than a woman.

ReputationRep:
    Women who lift don't tend to get uber-big...just uber-strong/toned/fit/generally awesome. I know a girl who lifts and she looks AMAZING. I don't think it looks unfeminine, and I think it's hot when girls are strong and toned. <3

ReputationRep:
    The ones who are mega muscular are not attractive, no. The ones who are athletic and toned can be, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Girls with 6 packs are also off-putting.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.