Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I desperately want to go to medical school, but am unsure of whether it is realistic as I only take two science A Levels and do not take maths (my AS' are chemistry, biology, English literature and psychology, and my A levels will be in chemistry, biology and English lit). If I were to achieve either AAA or A*AA with the A* in English, (and 4 A's at AS) would medical schools consider me, and if so which ones in particular? (My GCSE scores were OK, all A's and A*'s with the exception of 1 B.) Thank you! Ps I am unsure of whether I am doing this right as this is my first post.... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issy22)
    I desperately want to go to medical school, but am unsure of whether it is realistic as I only take two science A Levels and do not take maths (my AS' are chemistry, biology, English literature and psychology, and my A levels will be in chemistry, biology and English lit). If I were to achieve either AAA or A*AA with the A* in English, (and 4 A's at AS) would medical schools consider me, and if so which ones in particular? (My GCSE scores were OK, all A's and A*'s with the exception of 1 B.) Thank you! Ps I am unsure of whether I am doing this right as this is my first post.... :eek:
    Have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

It appears from a brief glance that they are more interested in applicants with A2 chemistry and, to some extent, biology than other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Myth buster: you do NOT necessarily needs maths to apply for medicine - especially since you have chemistry and biology! those 3 A-levels are 100% fine and will
    fulfil the criteria of pretty much every medical school. Read the application guide on TSR to double check mind...i am ancient and applied 2 years ago so just in case anything
    drastic has changed (Y)

ReputationRep:
    I think the only place you wouldn't be nest applying to is Cambridge as they prefer 3 science A Levels. Everywhere else usually only require Chemistry + one other science and are not bothered about your third subject and you have those already so you're fine. In fact, I believe UCL even prefer people not to have all science subjects and have a contrasting subject such as English.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issy22)
    To answer the question in your subject line... yes, it's definitely going to happen!

You only need two sciences for most med schools (a few Cambridge colleges are the exception). Chemistry and Biology is the best combination of two sciences to be doing - the majority of med schools will certainly consider you, and won't care what your 3rd A2 subject is.

The normal offer is AAA, but a few uni's ask for A*AA. Check the medicine wiki (link in top right of this page) and look at the articles on GCSE requirements, A level requirements, and applying using your strengths.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.