Turn on thread page Beta

Once a cheat always a cheat? watch

Announcements

My ex cheated on me, it was a one night thing and he admitted to it straight away and has never tried so hard apologise. It was a random girl and I really believe that he loves me still but I can't help get 'once and cheat always a cheat' out of my mind! I need help

ReputationRep:
    If you are willing to forgive him, then you can but that is the easy part. The difficult part is making sure that you don't make it seem acceptable to do it again.

ReputationRep:
    My 1st girlfriend cheated on me 5-6 months into our relationship. I forgave the first time, 2 months later she cheated on me again and well I broke up with her. The thing is you should give people a second chance but if you feel as if you still love them then you would forgive them but really it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    So? That's your old relationship. There's little to stop you starting a new relationship with him (literally from scratch, i.e. dating and taking it slow) to develop trust between you. Over time, so long as he doesn't exhibit any behaviours that cause you to become distrustful, your trust in him will win out against your negative experience. Though you will still remember it, and probably always will, it won't rule you.

ReputationRep:
    That saying's a load of rubbish, obviously it'll be true in some cases but in other cases it won't be- everyone's different there's no such thing as a one size fits all response when it comes to relationships! I've been cheated on in the past and after he showed a lot of remorse I decided to try and move on from it and forgive him. Whilst I honestly believe now looking back that he learnt his lesson and would never have done it again what I would say is that I found it pretty hard to appreciate that fact when I was in the relationship and ultimately the (often unspoken) fear that he'd do it again resulted in our relationship ending. When you love someone the idea of losing them is horrible and you don't need anything that's going to add to that fear, sadly it's much harder to move forward from betrayal than you think it will be and even if you think he's truly sorry for what he's done it won't necessarily stop you being super-paranoid he'll do it again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2013
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.