Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Really confused can anyone explain what a null hypothesis is too me and what it would be in this question if u kno Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368631901.523149.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  44.0 KB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    wrong forum mate

(Original post by Adl91)
    Really confused can anyone explain what a null hypothesis is too me and what it would be in this question if u kno Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368631901.523149.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  44.0 KB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't done this in years, but from what I recall, the concept of the null hypothesis is that you assume you're wrong (by making the "question" the opposite of what you think is the case), then setting out to "disprove" the question. The re-framing of your prediction into this "negative question" is the null hypothesis.

For instance, let's say that you think ice cream sales increase when the temperature outside is higher. Your null hypothesis would be that ice cream sales decrease the hotter it gets. By proving that the null hypothesis is wrong, the idea is that you prove that you're right, if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Well they want to find out whether the RFI affects methane production. So your null could be either it does or it doesn't*. Or whether 190.2 is significantly different from 142.3 if take the former as an example. In this case your null would be the difference between the two should be 0. I would define the difference as theta and then say H_0: \theta =0 vs. H_1 \theta>0 one sided here because obviously a difference can't be negative.

* This really depends what your syllabus wants. The difference between you wanting the null to be true or to be false is subtle and I had a talk about this with my stats prof even ages ago. One might argue that rejecting a null is stronger than not rejecting it (you never say we accept the null) hence you should always make the null the opposite of what you believe).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyberphilic_9999)
    wrong forum mate
    yeah your right this wouldnt go in study help would it, more a relationship question ... -_______________-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    I haven't done this in years, but from what I recall, the concept of the null hypothesis is that you assume you're wrong (by making the "question" the opposite of what you think is the case), then setting out to "disprove" the question. The re-framing of your prediction into this "negative question" is the null hypothesis.

For instance, let's say that you think ice cream sales increase when the temperature outside is higher. Your null hypothesis would be that ice cream sales decrease the hotter it gets. By proving that the null hypothesis is wrong, the idea is that you prove that you're right, if that makes sense.
    t

thanks man good explanation !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adl91)
    yeah your right this wouldnt go in study help would it, more a relationship question ... -_______________-
    yeah but not revision and study tips... -________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ ___________-

ReputationRep:
    yeah but not revision and study tips... -________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ ___________-
    Its in the right forum luv just accept u was wrong ! -____________________-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adl91)
    Its in the right forum luv just accept u was wrong ! -____________________-

Posted from TSR Mobile
    er no.

should be in the study help> science > biology

can you read?

this forum is for the process of revision and study tips in general.

just accept your wrong.

ReputationRep:
    er no.

should be in the study help> science > biology

can you read?

this forum is for the process of revision and study tips in general.

just accept your wrong.
    No sweetheart you are wrong im afraid, the question related to studying so believe it or not it can be answered in a general 'study tips' or whatever you was blabbing about forum its sweet you would go through all the effort of having it in the exact perfectly labelled bio forum when you could have saved time and posted it here as i have done now for once cant a girl just accept shes in the wrong in an argument and keep quiet and leave this as the last word thanks lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adl91)
    No sweetheart you are wrong im afraid, the question related to studying so believe it or not it can be answered in a general 'study tips' or whatever you was blabbing about forum its sweet you would go through all the effort of having it in the exact perfectly labelled bio forum when you could have saved time and posted it here as i have done now for once cant a girl just accept shes in the wrong in an argument and keep quiet and leave this as the last word thanks lol
    im not wrong but ill leave

ReputationRep:
    im not wrong but ill leave
    xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.