Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was told that an A* in music is 90%+. For my final composition I got 25/30, for performance I got 27/30, and in the listening mock I got 72%. I'm hoping to increase my listening mark by 10%. Would it be possible for me to get an A*, or do I need higher listening(well, i can revise for that...kinda), performance and composition marks(can't change them now...)???
    Would it get me -at least- an A???(preferably A*!)
    Thanks,

Anna

ReputationRep:
    me again...I'm just sooo worried about it! I just don't want music to ruin my set of GCSEs(I was predicted a B/A!...well, i was predicted higher grades in all other subjects) Actually, I have till wednesday to work on my compositions. (we can change some stuff, but not too much) I'm submiting compositions in ternary form and gamelan and got 25/30 for both. I have no idea what to do, in order to make them better. Does anyone know what the marking criteria for gamelan and ternary form is??? How are the compositions marked? I reallllly need help!

Anna

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_girl)
    I was told that an A* in music is 90%+. For my final composition I got 25/30, for performance I got 27/30, and in the listening mock I got 72%. I'm hoping to increase my listening mark by 10%. Would it be possible for me to get an A*, or do I need higher listening(well, i can revise for that...kinda), performance and composition marks(can't change them now...)???
    Thanks,

Anna
    If I remember correctly, the modules total 100, with 30 on both composing and performing, and 40 on listening. This means that you have 52/60 at the moment, and to get 90+ would require 38+/40, which is 95%. The border for A* will change every year depending on the candidates, but as music has - proportionally - a large number of strong candidates, it is often higher than other subjects, and so around 90%.

If you managed 80% on the listening, you'd still get 84% overall, which - by my reckoning - is a safe A. If there's some way you could revise your compositions and re-submit them, you'd be in for an easier time going for an A* - it's not worth worrying over, though, as an A is still an "excellent" achievement. You're still in with a chance of an A*, too.

In the listening paper, it doesn't seem to matter about the overall coherence of your answers - just write down as many features of the music as you can hear, and link them in to what the question's about. The first piece is always in 4/4, anyway, and the cadence in the middle is without doubt imperfect. Two free marks already!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks,

Anna
    Those marks are probably on the A/A* border. I don't see why you need to improve that much (apart from the listening paper, as you said - that should be above 80%).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks,

Anna
    I'm studying for the AQA board and the A* boundary was ridiculously low for the listening paper, it was 72% for an A*! but you needed 94% in both compositions, the same in performance and 88% in your Integrated Assignment. Overall I think A* was 85%, i dont know any subjects (except English) with an A* pass rate of 90%! By the way an A is stil a fantastic grade and if your studying it onto A level you only strictly need a C, I got an A* in my mock so i aint telling you to stop workin because an A's fine because if you think your capable of an A* then you will probably get the A*.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I -can- revise my compostitions...I have 4 days...but I have noo idea how i can improve. I did my best...and got 25/30! Do you know how the ternary+gamelan pieces are marked???

ReputationRep:
    All compositions are marked the same:
    they need to be, idiosyncratic of the style-which means it has to have features of...
    It has to have good harmonies, rhythms, etc. n just sound nice

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.