Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, i'm stuck on part B of this question;

Rice that can be cooked in microwave ovens is sold in packets which the manufacturer claims contain a mean weight of more than 250 grams of rice.

The weight of rice in a packet may be modelled by a normal distribution.

A consumer organisation’s researcher weighed the contents, x grams, of each of a random sample of 50 packets. Her summarised results are:

and

(a) Show that, correct to two decimal places, , where denotes the unbiased estimate of the population variance.
    .. Which I've already shown

(b) Construct a 96% confidence interval for the mean weight of rice in a packet, giving the limits to one decimal place.

And i've looked at the mark scheme and it says that i should be using 0.98 instead of 0.96 but i don't understand why, it says 96% confidence interval. I'm sure i'm just being an idiot, but can someone help? please?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Jasprar)
    And i've looked at the mark scheme and it says that i should be using 0.98 instead of 0.96 but i don't understand why, it says 96% confidence interval. I'm sure i'm just being an idiot, but can someone help? please?
    96% means 4% in the tails, i.e 2% in each tail. So you need the z value for 0.98.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    96% means 4% in the tails, i.e 2% in each tail. So you need the z value for 0.98.
    Surely you'd need the z value for a central 0.96 not 0.98? If its 96% you want the central 0.96. Hmmmm...

Which paper is it?

Anyways...

Then use the formula X bar plus minus Z multiplied by (s divided by the root of n)

Sorry for the use of words, don't know latex :')
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Dingo749)
    Surely you'd need the z value for a central 0.96 not 0.98? If its 96% you want the central 0.96. Hmmmm...
    Central 0.96, implies looking at the cumulative value of 0.98 for a 2-tailed test.

Which paper is it?
    No idea - ask the OP.

ReputationRep:
    u guys ready for s1?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Is the answer [250.5, 251.7] ??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.