Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Totally humiliating day! I stink and I honestly shouldn't, please help! watch

ReputationRep:
    22, Male.

I'm pretty damn sure I smell, but there's no reason why I should as I am very hygienic. The reason I suspect I do is the way people are around me sometimes. I have at least 1 bath a day, often 2 using Cidal antibacterial soap, washing everywhere thoroughly. I wear clean clothes, brush teeth twice a day, wear Sure anti-persprint deodorant (not excessively) etc etc etc.

I've been thinking it for a while, just the ways people seem around me in public, though it's always been speculative - but today I'm pretty certain I did stink - bad. Everyone seemed to be smelling something I wasn't and I hadn't even been sweating really. I overheard people getting on the bus saying to each other it stunk and someone even moved away from me. One fella screwed his face up as he approached me as if he had smelt something bad. I went to the coffee shop and one of the Baristas behind the counter said to the other "What's that smell?" and the other said "I know, don't know where it's coming from" - this was as I was there and given my experience on the bus I'm pretty sure it was me. I just went home even though I had other stuff to do.

I went home and had a really good sniff of all my clothes and body but they smelt absolutely fine to me and there was no dog **** on my shoes either. Even my ****ing arse smelt fine.

Its seriously affecting me, I don't want to go out anywhere and it's reduced my confidence to nothing. I went through this a few years ago and I got severely depressed and started becoming obsessive to the point I actually ripped the carpet up in my bedroom as I was sure that was stinking and making my clothes stink.

I have asked my mother if I smell and she is adamant that I don't, but its a bit pointless because we live in the same house and are probably used to each others smell. Besides if it's our house that stinks (it's quite clean though) then we probably both have the same problem but she says this never happens to her.

What the hell is going on! Please help!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you have OCD, not that you smell.

ReputationRep:
    No advice from me but I often get the same, or at least mostly when I was under 23, only thing I get now is sometimes no matter how much I shower and wash I smell like I havent cleaned myself after going to toilet despite wearing fresh clothes.

People told me before though that I may be overwashing and upsetting balance of my natural cleaning, funnily enough I get chatted up the most when I dont shower before I go to club and heard thats due to chemicals given off.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you're bathing too much. You're causing harm to your skin and it won't have any effect on your body odour.

Secondly, ask someone you know or go to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a genuine problem, you can get botulinum injections or antichlolinergic drugs to block the nerves that innervate sweat glands, or even surgery to remove the apocrine glands (which are mostly responsible for body odor) but it all depends on the seriousness - try and get an appointment with a dermatologist, these are generally hard to treat with any over-the-counter stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    If it's a genuine problem, you can get botulinum injections or antichlolinergic drugs to block the nerves that innervate sweat glands, or even surgery to remove the apocrine glands (which are mostly responsible for body odor) but it all depends on the seriousness - try and get an appointment with a dermatologist, these are generally hard to treat with any over-the-counter stuff.
    That reminds me, I was offered tablets from the dermatologist which made me feel tired and ill all the time and I was told as a last resort you could get botox but that was a huge waiting list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    That reminds me, I was offered tablets from the dermatologist which made me feel tired and ill all the time and I was told as a last resort you could get botox but that was a huge waiting list.
    What tablets were they?

ReputationRep:
    Ask a friend to be 100% honest and ask them. If they're a good friend they would tell you if you did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you might be being overly paranoid about it.

I went through a huge phase last year of thinking I smelt really bad and showering compulsively and trying different deodorants, but there was always this one class where I could smell myself really badly! In the end I asked my friend to sniff me.... turned out it was a guy in the class that smelt so bad he stunk out the whole room. You could tell he didn't wash his clothes or shower regularly because his clothes were always creased and his hair was always greasy.
    Basically, if you've asked someone to be honest about if you smell, then you probably don't.

My main advice on personal hygiene is that washing once a day is best in my opinion, I think twice a day is a bit excessive. Also make sure you're using an anti-perspirant instead of just a deodorant. I use Mitchum unscented which is really good, it doesn't smell of anything it just stops you sweating. If you want to smell of something you can wear a separate body spray.

Long story short... I'm sure you smell lovely

edit: One last tip, smell your shoes! When I was about 14 my manky old converse started to smell and I didn't notice for about 2 weeks, so embarrassing! If your shoes smell bad it's normally time to chuck them, because there's only so much fabreeze can do for you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.