The Student Room Group

Impact of failed classes on application to Master's

Hello everyone,

I am a French student currently enrolled in a Master's program in International Security at Sciences Po (Paris), one of France's best schools.

I am considering applying for a couple Master's in Management in the UK (Judge, LSE MSc Int Management and Management & strategy, LBS).

As for my grades, I have a 14.33/20 average for my undergrad. LSE's minimum requirement is 12/20 so I'm good, also the Judge lady told me it was sufficient to be eligible so I guess it's the equivalent of a first honours (their minimum entry requirement).

My graduate level grades will probably be at the same level.

Now my only problem is that 1st semester of my 2nd year I failed 2 classes because of attendance. My transcript says "Failed" (no grade). One was an English class, the other an elective.

It has not impacted my semester validation because I had way more credits than necessary, and has not impacted my average grade.

How would that impact my application to British schools ? Will they be looking at my transcript in detail and be like "oh he failed 2 classes that semester that's not good", or will they just be looking at my average grade ?

Also, is there a place (forum, ...) where I can ask for a free application review (telling me if I've got my chances or not) ?

Thank you very much.
Reply 1
Original post by VdV
Hello everyone,

I am a French student currently enrolled in a Master's program in International Security at Sciences Po (Paris), one of France's best schools.

I am considering applying for a couple Master's in Management in the UK (Judge, LSE MSc Int Management and Management & strategy, LBS).

As for my grades, I have a 14.33/20 average for my undergrad. LSE's minimum requirement is 12/20 so I'm good, also the Judge lady told me it was sufficient to be eligible so I guess it's the equivalent of a first honours (their minimum entry requirement).

My graduate level grades will probably be at the same level.

Now my only problem is that 1st semester of my 2nd year I failed 2 classes because of attendance. My transcript says "Failed" (no grade). One was an English class, the other an elective.

It has not impacted my semester validation because I had way more credits than necessary, and has not impacted my average grade.

How would that impact my application to British schools ? Will they be looking at my transcript in detail and be like "oh he failed 2 classes that semester that's not good", or will they just be looking at my average grade ?

Also, is there a place (forum, ...) where I can ask for a free application review (telling me if I've got my chances or not) ?

Thank you very much.

It will make a significant impact on your application. Frankly, there's no chance that you'll be admitted to top institutions unless you provide extenuating circumstances.
Reply 2
Still waiting for additional answers as yours lacks some constructive argumentation.

Will they really stop at 2 classes back in 2010 which had no impact on my credits and my grades ?

Also I could possibly get a note from the hospital (I was having some health issues at that time) that would say that given my health condition I might have not been able to attend some classes. Hopefully that would be sufficient.
Reply 3
Original post by VdV
Still waiting for additional answers as yours lacks some constructive argumentation.

Will they really stop at 2 classes back in 2010 which had no impact on my credits and my grades ?

Also I could possibly get a note from the hospital (I was having some health issues at that time) that would say that given my health condition I might have not been able to attend some classes. Hopefully that would be sufficient.

I'm going to venture that failing one class early on - assuming the rest of your application is outstanding (by which I mean, for example, top student in some modules, firsts across the board otherwise, or similar, plus outstanding references) might not make a huge impact; I say that because I know someone who was accepted to a reasonably competitive (not the most competitive but not the least) course at Cambridge with a transcript like that. Admissions tutors understand that anyone can have a really bad day/exam/whatever sometimes. That said, failing two modules makes it a lot more difficult to argue that it was a one off, unusual circumstance. And even if they don't count for your final grade, that could be taken to show a lack of proper application... I don't think, at masters level, top unis want people who only bother to work on some parts of courses.

Also remember the courses you are applying to are pretty competitive. You may meet the minimum requirement, but so will every other applicant, and you will need something outstanding about your application to face off this competition in the context of two failed grades on your transcript.

Edit: it may be worthwhile mentioning that the above mentioned person retook the module they failed and got a very high first on the resit - not sure if that would have helped "cancel" out the original fail or not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Lol love how the OP got angry because someone gave a stupid answer to a stupid question (original post).

Frankly LSE will take anyone. For Judge youll be competing against quite a few nerds who have perfect grades from the best uni's.
Reply 5
Original post by londonfinance
Lol love how the OP got angry because someone gave a stupid answer to a stupid question (original post).

Frankly LSE will take anyone. For Judge youll be competing against quite a few nerds who have perfect grades from the best uni's.

:rofl:
Reply 6
Original post by sj27
I'm going to venture that failing one class early on - assuming the rest of your application is outstanding (by which I mean, for example, top student in some modules, firsts across the board otherwise, or similar, plus outstanding references) might not make a huge impact; I say that because I know someone who was accepted to a reasonably competitive (not the most competitive but not the least) course at Cambridge with a transcript like that. Admissions tutors understand that anyone can have a really bad day/exam/whatever sometimes. That said, failing two modules makes it a lot more difficult to argue that it was a one off, unusual circumstance And even if they don't count for your final grade, that could be take to show a lack of proper application... I don't think, at masters level, top unis want people who only bother to work on some parts of courses.

Also remember the courses you are applying to are pretty competitive. You may meet the minimum requirement, but so will every other applicant, and you will need something outstanding about your application to face off this competition in the context of two failed grades on your transcript.

Original post by londonfinance

Thanks for the answer. I know Cambridge looks almost exclusively at academic records so indeed it's gonna be tough getting in.

I was hoping that both LSE and LBS would be more "professional" and also look at my CV, internships, and projects.
I'm interning for 6 months at EADS Headquarters working on the group's international stategy and that's basically what I wanna do later on, and I need a business degree for that (or at least that would help).

Also I'll get a medical certificate stating that my health might have prevented me from attending classes in 2010, which I guess would make it okay for the admission jury.

@londonfinance : what do you mean by "they'll take anyone" ? The MSc in International Management has an acceptance rate below 10% from their web page.

I don't know the MSc Management & Strategy's rate though.

Anyways thanks for the answers !
Reply 7
Original post by VdV
@londonfinance : what do you mean by "they'll take anyone" ? The MSc in International Management has an acceptance rate below 10% from their web page.

I don't know the MSc Management & Strategy's rate though.

Anyways thanks for the answers !

The webpages usually quote intake, not offers - if there's a 10% intake rate you can usually estimate around a 20% offer rate. Still pretty competitive though. And LBS is known to be tough. The problem as I see it is that you are likely to face other people with good internships AND stellar academic records. By all means apply, but I'd suggest that you have a couple of back-up unis that you apply to as well. Your other option would be to wait a few years and then go for an MBA, where the academic criteria are often quite a bit looser and where a good professional CV can offset any holes.
Reply 8
I'm also applying to a bunch of French BS as back-up, no worries about that.

I'm also considering St Gallen's Master's in Strategy and International Management.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending