Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Long story short, I applied to do English Studies at university this year, having discarded French or several reasons. Several months down the line, having accepted Nottingham as my firm choice, I now realise what a massive idiot I've been.

    Basically, I want to email Nottingham and ask them to transfer me from an English Studies degree to joint honours English and French. The requirements are the same, AAB, however I need an A in French, which I wasn't predicted on my application (although I'm pretty confident that I can manage this). If I email them and ask them to change my course, what do you think my chances of them doing this are? Am I just wasting my time?

    Also, how should I word my email, because I haven't a clue and I'm panicking about it haha

    Just tell them that you want to change and briefly try and explain why you would now like to study French. I don't know what their response will be though. They may allow it, they may not. They may hold onto your request and allow you to transfer when/if you actually achieve an A in French depending on whether the course is full or not.

    There's no harm in trying, so good luck

    Phone asap (don't email, it takes too long). You can probably sort this out - but make very sure it really is what you want, as you wont get much sympathy if you then change you mind again.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to uni

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

    Two students working together

    A-Z of universities

    Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

    A student working on a computer

    Personal statement help

    Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student looking down a microscope

    Planning open days

    Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

    Help out other students

    These questions still need an answer

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.