Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else doing their GCSE module on TKAM on Monday? If so, what sort of notes/tips were you given and who were you told to focus on?
    Panicking here :/

ReputationRep:
    Definetly gonna be the worst exam for me. I'm just going through the main characters and themes and making mind maps for how they affect the novel and stuff. But I'm just holding out for a decent question so that I can get my A XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebclarke)
    Is anyone else doing their GCSE module on TKAM on Monday? If so, what sort of notes/tips were you given and who were you told to focus on?
    Panicking here :/
    We weren't given any notes tbh which is shambles, but we did get notes for An inspector calls. However, for the part a question focus on the language used and part b focus on the novel as a whole, more about attitudes, themes etc.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    if you can get hold of the CGP book for TKAMB i suggest you get it, it's VERY good! (there is also one for An Inspector Calls, Of Mice and Men etc..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaxxo1)
    Definetly gonna be the worst exam for me. I'm just going through the main characters and themes and making mind maps for how they affect the novel and stuff. But I'm just holding out for a decent question so that I can get my A XD
    good idea, are you going to learn quotes that you may be able to use in the exam or do you think that's a waste of time because any question could come up.. i hate english lit so much

ReputationRep:
    I did my gcse lit a year early (2 years ago) and studied "to kill a mockingbird" and "an inspector calls".... English is difficult to revise for and although i love it and i'm doing it at a level now, i found to kill a mockingbird quite boring! If you don't want to keep re reading it, theres a black and white film of to kill a mockingbird, i found the full version on youtube, and although some parts are a little different, it did help me to visualise and remember things! It's crap you've not been given any notes! What sort of questions do you get on them? Are they creative or analytical? I can try to give you some tips if you like, i came out with an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloewright96)
    I did my gcse lit a year early (2 years ago) and studied "to kill a mockingbird" and "an inspector calls".... English is difficult to revise for and although i love it and i'm doing it at a level now, i found to kill a mockingbird quite boring! If you don't want to keep re reading it, theres a black and white film of to kill a mockingbird, i found the full version on youtube, and although some parts are a little different, it did help me to visualise and remember things! It's crap you've not been given any notes! What sort of questions do you get on them? Are they creative or analytical? I can try to give you some tips if you like, i came out with an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They're mainly analytical like they give you a passage and you have to say the techniques used then they give you a theme and you have to say how lee shows that theme in the book as a whole and you need to use context. You have any good tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is there definitely going to be a question on a character? Cause we don't have any notes on themes..... :/

ReputationRep:
    Right ok, well firstly, if you've been making annotations in your book as you've been going along, in terms of quotes pick out some of these key ones! Also, the novel can be considered as a "bildungsroman" , im not sure if youve talked about this but it basically means it involves the growth and growing up of characters, noticeably scout and jem also in terms of themes http://m.sparknotes.com/lit/mocking/ this might be helpful to you because it gives an explanation of them just try to think about what devices e.g: similes lee uses to create whatever it is the question is asking one big tip i would give is look through the past paper and more importantly the mark schemes! This will give you some explanation of themes as well as enabling you to know what the examiner is after i hope thats helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did this last year, but doing English Literature for AS, the most beneficial thing you can do is practice essays! You never know what is going to come up and I had an English exam on Friday and had actually done one of the questions. I know it's time consuming but it is definitely very beneficial and English is less about the content and more about exam technique.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing that exam tomorrow... panicking a little because I'm also doing animal farm. I absolutely love TKAM though so I'm feeling calmer about that but as tips I was told (by the best English teacher ever):

Include as many relevant quotes as possible, keep them short and sweet
    To make sure to include context (e.g: Great Depression, Racism, Attitudes to women...)
    Include what you think Harper Lee's aims and messages are and the effect it has on the reader.

Also read the book again if you can, if you're familiar with it you'll know where to find the quotes you need and where each key event is in the novel.

Good Luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.