Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

On your personal statement do you talk about the city where your Uni is? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So you obviously write why you want to study at blah blah University on your PS right?
    But if one of the reasons you want to go to that Uni is because of the city it is located in, do you write that on the personal statement? For example, "I want to study in London because there is a language I want to learn that is only available as a course in London, and this language would relate to my degree choice."

That's only an example I can think of right now, or is that irrelevant to the Uni lol?

ReputationRep:
    You only write one personal statement for all of the universities that you apply to. It is massively ill advised to write a personal statement in favour of one university.
    Don't mention anything about any of the cities you wish to study in, or any of the universities you wish to attend. It will not be beneficial.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    People usually apply to more than one uni, so tend not to write about individual unis/cities.

ReputationRep:
    If you're only going to be applying to one university then you can mention the university in the PS, otherwise I'd steer clear of mentioning cities or universities. All of you choices will see the same PS, so what will an admissions tutor think if they work at the University of Bath but you've only mentioned how you want to study in London at UCL?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it would serve as in filling up space like extra-curricilars mentioned in your statement, it wouldn't be much of a priority.
    Also it depends on whether all your choices are located in the same city or not since you write one statement which is transmitted to all your choices.

ReputationRep:
    Here is some really good sensible advice about writing a PS : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...onal_Statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emre944)
    I'd say it would serve as an expletive like extra-curricilars mentioned in your statement, it wouldn't be much of a priority.
    Also it depends on whether all your choices are located in the same city or not since you write one statement which is transmitted to all your choices.
    You may want to check the common meaning of the word 'expletive'...

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, in all honesty, the interviews aren't going to care much about what you say about the actual city. They'll be looking at the academic aspect and of course your performance in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Your personal statement has to tell unis why they should choose you, so even if you apply to only London unis, telling them why you want to live in London is pretty irrelevant. You have to say why you love your subject, why you love this course, why you would be amazing at it (your skills etc.). It's not the people who want to go to that uni the most that get the places, it's the people that the uni want the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    You may want to check the common meaning of the word 'expletive'...
    Filling up; hence, added merely for the purpose of filling up; superfluous...

Would it hurt to explain your point instead of saying there's something wrong with it?

ReputationRep:
    Filling up; hence, added merely for the purpose of filling up; superfluous...

Would it hurt to explain your point instead of saying there's something wrong with it?
    They did say 'most common', which would be swearing. Also, for your meaning, it is only to fill out a line or phrase, so I wouldn't really consider this the right context.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lascelles)
    They did say 'most common', which would be swearing. Also, for your meaning, it is only to fill out a line or phrase, so I wouldn't really consider this the right context.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, I'll fix it as soon as I can.

Edit:Fixed.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll fix it as soon as I can.

Edit:Fixed.
    Sorry to be so pedantic, it's just that I'd rather you learn that it's wrong here rather than in a professional environment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    Sorry to be so pedantic, it's just that I'd rather you learn that it's wrong here rather than in a professional environment
    Oh, no. I'm grateful really. English's not my native language so there might be a few mistakes here and there occasionally. Thanks for the heads up.

ReputationRep:
    you don't write your personal statement based on the university, its about the course.

ReputationRep:
    I would not mention the city in my PS, it's not just that relevant. Some courses, however, might request an additional PS. If so, you have the chance to incorporate the location. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    do you write on your personal statement why you are taking a gap year and why you are resetting exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammyvine)
    do you write on your personal statement why you are taking a gap year and why you are resetting exams?
    If what you're doing on your gap year is relevant for the course you're applying to then yes, I would definately mention why. You should not mention that you're resitting exams in the PS. You should try to be positive and mainly talk about your interest in the subject. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flax)
    If what you're doing on your gap year is relevant for the course you're applying to then yes, I would definately mention why. You should not mention that you're resitting exams in the PS. You should try to be positive and mainly talk about your interest in the subject. Good luck!
    okay thanks....
    should i ask my teacher to include why i am re-sitting exams on my personal statement or doesn't it really matter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammyvine)
    okay thanks....
    should i ask my teacher to include why i am re-sitting exams on my personal statement or doesn't it really matter...
    You could ask your teacher to mention why but remember that they have a word limit as well, so it might be a bit of a waste.

Here is some info that you might find useful:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2113025

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.