Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in my first year of my politics degree and I really need some help. I've worked really really hard this year but I just can't seem to bring my marks higher. I've been doing a lot of reading throughout the year, planned my essays etc in hope for hitting the 60s 70s boundaries but yet my grades never really get higher than 58% in coursework. Like this week I got my second term assignment grades back thinking I did good but instead I bagged myself two high 50s (55% and 58%) and a 60% and 64%. I'm really scared coz I don't wanna end up after three years with a 2:2, in January I revised like hell and bagged only a measly 53% in the exam and I am now really demotivated. I really dunno what I'm doing wrong, I've even spoken to my personal tutor and heeded to their recommendations but my grades just don't seem to go higher. Please can some one help me please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadziiee)
    So I'm in my first year of my politics degree and I really need some help. I've worked really really hard this year but I just can't seem to bring my marks higher. I've been doing a lot of reading throughout the year, planned my essays etc in hope for hitting the 60s 70s boundaries but yet my grades never really get higher than 58% in coursework. Like this week I got my second term assignment grades back thinking I did good but instead I bagged myself two high 50s (55% and 58%) and a 60% and 64%. I'm really scared coz I don't wanna end up after three years with a 2:2, in January I revised like hell and bagged only a measly 53% in the exam and I am now really demotivated. I really dunno what I'm doing wrong, I've even spoken to my personal tutor and heeded to their recommendations but my grades just don't seem to go higher. Please can some one help me please.
    Do you read enough?
    How well do you structure your essays? Do you make sure that you include a strong introduction that tells the reader what you're going to argue? Do you make sure that in following paragraphs you refer back to the overarching aim? Do you have a simple , sufficiently long conclusion that reiterates the big points you made and what the implications of these are? Do you make sure that each section follows on from the one before in a logical fashion? Do you provide enough evidence to back up claims that you make? As you're a social science student, have you made sure that you tick the boxes of demonstrating awareness of any methodological problems in the area you're addressing, as well as your understanding and awareness of relevant theories? Do you demonstrate a good knowledge of relevant academic debates regarding the questions that you study? Have you learnt how to 'situate yourself' in relation to the literature relevant to your course, such that your marker is able to work out what your opinion is, and how it differs from the opinions and work of existing academics in that area?
    Are you able to link different parts of your course up with each other, e.g. through applying a theory or method from one module to your understanding of the material covered in another?
    Do you reference accurately?
    Do you have a good grasp of grammar and language?
    Do you cite enough literature, and when you do so do you incorporate it into your argument appropriately?
    Do you write up your course work early enough for there to be time for staff to read over it and give you feedback?
    Do you prepare sample exam answers ahead of exams, and set yourself mock exams by practicing with old exam papers under time pressure?

If the answer to any of these is 'no' or 'I don't know what that is', then that is something you need to master.

ReputationRep:
    Not a real answer, but go to your professor and ask them where you are going wrong and how you can improve... Friends of mine have even asked old teachers that they used to get on with to go over things with them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.