Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm studying Law LLB, and I'm really enjoying it. However, I'm fully aware that I don't attend the most prestigious university or neither do I have the greatest academic background. With this in mind and my awareness of the competitiveness within the legal sector I question whether attempting to be a lawyer or work in the legal industry is 'worth it'.

Therefore I've been researching alternate career paths in which I can use my law degree.

Money is a huge incentive for me.

With these factors in mind, is anybody aware of alternate career paths with a Law degree? Or even better, is anyone else in or has been in my shoes a d offer some advice?

Many thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for any graduate position - if you're not using law for a law career, you can still use it for any career where an undergraduate degree is needed. Many graduate recruiters appreciate the way lawyers have been taught to think. Have you thought about management consultancy?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Weevle;42635053]Hi,

I'm studying Law LLB, and I'm really enjoying it. However, I'm fully aware that I don't attend the most prestigious university or neither do I have the greatest academic background. With this in mind and my awareness of the competitiveness within the legal sector I question whether attempting to be a lawyer or work in the legal industry is 'worth it'.

Therefore I've been researching alternate career paths in which I can use my law degree.

Money is a huge incentive for me.

With these factors in mind, is anybody aware of alternate career paths with a Law degree? Or even better, is anyone else in or has been in my shoes a d offer some advice?

Many thanks!

Hi. I'm in the exact same position as yourself. I've just finished my first year of uni studying law. To some extent I do enjoy law but my academic background isn't straight A's and I don't really want to work in a high street firm for the rest of my life earning about £40,000 max compared to city firms where you could be earning over £60,000.

I've been doing some research on what other career routes I can take. So far I've found:

-as the person above said: management, business, marketing, sales, accountancy/ finance
    and teaching.

You could also try to find some in- house departments in companies. I think there are sort of a legal department in banks and stuff where maybe you could work....but double check this as I'm not entirely sure.

It might be a good idea to speak to a career adviser at your uni...they'll probably have a lot more information on hand and to guide you in the right direction.

Hope I've helped!

ReputationRep:
    Accountancy firms quite like law grads, BP has a good scheme, jaguar land rover does too also have you considered teaching at postgrad, there is your mums hairy vag, there are programs with estate agents like Savills or estate agency itself, property surveying. There is commodity broking firms ... the world is your oyster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody-wood)
    Accountancy firms quite like law grads, BP has a good scheme, jaguar land rover does too also have you considered teaching at postgrad, there is your mums hairy vag, there are programs with estate agents like Savills or estate agency itself, property surveying. There is commodity broking firms ... the world is your oyster
    I was actually thinking of going into property/ real estate with a law degree. I've looked up on some big real estate companies in London. I was just wondering, though, how can you use a law degree to go into real estate/property? What kind of role can you do with a la degree if you get what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ********)
    I was actually thinking of going into property/ real estate with a law degree. I've looked up on some big real estate companies in London. I was just wondering, though, how can you use a law degree to go into real estate/property? What kind of role can you do with a la degree if you get what I mean?
    you can do most things, train as a surveyor, real estate surveyor ...have a look at firms like joneslanglesalle or savills for work exp and their programs. Most property companies don't specify degree grade so you can do almost anything with a law degree and it will give you a bit of a head start than if you were to begin with i.e social policy or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woody-wood)
    lol wat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    lol wat
    ... is it not an option :erm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.